Sooo Many Irrelevant Pages - Process?

Digitaldar

I am working with a client that has a ton of content. I did an audit to identify content "that has not seen the light of day" in quite some time - e.g. low pageviews over the past year :)

There were too many URLs to process independently (I figured if we could group them by topic, then we could work with topic themes)... but I am finding that the queries associated with many of these URLs are not relevant.... so grouping is proving challenging - also the URLs are not telltale of the topic so I have to look up each URL in Google Search Console - very time consuming.

My overall goal is to tell another team what to do with these URLs - they can work at them over the course of a year, no problem. But what to do with each one differs. The content is not bad... it likely just needs to be integrated into another topic - e.g. there is an article about the future of sales... it talks about creating a sense of community.... this is not something people search for... but that content could be moved into content about retaining customers... this is difficult to "procedurize" for non SEOs as well...

My brain is tired and it could be that I am missing something obvious here :) If I were to hand you 200 URLs from your site that have low pageviews... what would you do next? I think that the team would benefit from having all my data put into a database so that it could be visually displayed better and they could work on it. :)

Beris

I struggle with this all the time... All of the spreadsheets and number-crunching only go so far.

I only have part of a process:
  • Nuke all outdated content (We're doing this event on January 2017)
  • Nuke content under XX words (some say 200, others higher)
  • Next, I look at Bounce rates (assuming posts got traffic at some time).

From there it bogs down. I try to go by client's current content need.

• A tool like Screaming Frog can give you a hint about what the page content might be (Depending on how good the post creators focused, or understood H1s,metas etc).
  • If the site has a search box, I use it to find key terms. Sometimes it help.

The hard part is letting go of all those words (or getting the client to let go).

Please see my DM

pony

If it's only 200 URLs I would do something similar to what Beris suggested:

1.) Analyze traffic/rankings/backlinks etc to the URLs to create an understanding of how valued each page is

2.) Individually go through the list to determine whether the content should:
a.) be redirected to a related piece of content already on the site
b.) be updated so that it targets a topic worth competing for
c.) be combined with a separate piece of topic as to not create cannibalizing pieces of content on the same site

We just did a similar practice with a site that had thousands of URLs that needed to be migrated to another site after an acquisition.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: a promoted post by a Sterling Sky employee reviewing your product or service; this will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More information...

Local Search Forum

Google Product Exert

@LocalSearchLink

Join Our Facebook Group