More threads by johnlavapie_SEO

Solutions
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm an in-house SEO & Digital Marketing Professional for an event rental company. Basically, this was my first stint with SEO & Local SEO but have enjoyed my self-training for a year now.

But due to this pandemic, I am starting to think of creating my own Local SEO agency as a side hustle. And of course this is the best time while I have lots of time.

My question is - if you have any tips on where to start. What I should prioritize? How did you present yourself to potential clients?

It's such a scary thing to do - but I know I have to take my first step.

Thanks!

I'm not sure starting an agency during a pandemic is something I'd suggest. Getting clients is always the hardest part of starting an agency and right now people are spending even less than usual. Even the most reputable agencies are having clients pause services.

If it's something you're considering for the future I'd probably get your own blog and start trying to build a following. If people recognize you as an expert it's a lot easier to get clients.

It helped me to get heavily involved with my local WordPress MeetUp group and WordCamp, which included doing presentations on local SEO. It gave me lots of opportunities to get to know area web developers, and they remain one of my best sources of referrals (and vice versa). While it may be more difficult doing that now, keep in mind that many events are going virtual, and it may be harder for organizers to find speakers, so there could be some good opportunities out there.

I'm not sure starting an agency during a pandemic is something I'd suggest. Getting clients is always the hardest part of starting an agency and right now people are spending even less than usual. Even the most reputable agencies are having clients pause services.

If it's something you're considering for the future I'd probably get your own blog and start trying to build a following. If people recognize you as an expert it's a lot easier to get clients.

Thanks Joy. I was missing some key words from my original message. So I apologize for that.

I would like to learn as much as I can now about building an agency but not start it until everything normalizes. I don't know how to create presentations - like making a complicated topic like Local SEO and make it simple.

A website with a blog is definitely a great place to start.

Now is the best time ever to startup. I was dead break and over drafting my account in late 2008-2009 but was learning SEO and SEM skills that paved the way for a very bright future. While you may not expect to pick up a lot of new clients at this time (unless you're getting them by being a cheaper alternative while corporations are cutting their budgets) but you can craft your skills and as I did in late 2010 I placed an ad on Craigslist and was marketing SEO services. Landed my first client in November and by November 2011 was doing almost a million dollars a year my first year in business. Still rolling along helping people fix their negative search results.

Hope I helped to inspire you.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom