More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
57866f9a8de975.81261557.jpg

This is an awesome and detailed write-up on the state of Local Search today.
The kind of in-depth post that Casey is famous for IMO.

Much of it digs deeper into the study by Dan & Andrew from Local SEO Guide and Mark Kabana from Places Scout.

But Casey digs deep into other areas as well and gives links to many great resources like Joy's post on how to fight spam.

<a href="https://moz.com/blog/local-seo-where-to-focus-your-efforts-now">The State of Local SEO & Where to Focus Now</a>

In this article I'm going to address the current state of local SEO in 2016, review some findings from a new data-driven local SEO study, and provide you with some actionable tips to win the local SEO game.

If there's one thing that's consistent about Google, it's the fact that it's always changing. Over the years we've seen many changes in local search. The most recent changes included ads that display in the 3 pack of local results, leaving only two positions. Since Google removed the sidebar ads, you now have to scroll further down the page just to see the local results. These days, local SEO is more competitive and more confusing. So where do you start? ...

The algorithm, the amount of effort business owners are putting in, the amount of effort marketers are putting into their local SEO — it's all changed. Where just a few years ago there were many businesses on the sidelines not doing much in the way of optimizing for local search, you now see more people trying harder.

What do you think??? What stood out to you the most?

Anything you disagree with or see differently???

57866f9a8de975.81261557.jpg

Casey consistently puts out some of my favorite big picture resource guides, even his early 2015 state of local search would be on my short list if I was to recommend some intro reading to someone new. Nothing here is going to be a surprise to someone that's been keeping on top of things for the last few months, but he links out to a ton of great relevant stuff. I was actually just looking for Darren's user behavior slides not that long ago and couldn't find it, so that was appreciated.

I like the conversation at the end too about local link building. That's the least systemizable cog in the local search machine at this point, and it's definitely where the winners are going to be separated from the runners-up. Especially since it's one that a lot of local SEOs are either not addressing yet, or are just trying to get into now for the first time.

Thanks for the great post Casey!

I think it's a good summary for those wanting an overview of where everything is at and what to focus on :)

I just read it and I certainly appreciated the breadth of topics that he covered. It was a valuable read for me.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom