More threads by Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Solutions
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am looking for some numbers. We all know that being in the 3 pack is very valuable, but how valuable is it. Does anyone know of a blog or article that compares the average amount of clicks a listing gets when it's in the 3 pack vs. when it's ranking lower.
Thanks,
Jeff

I'm not aware of one off the top of my head. But Advanced Web Ranking has a pretty cool tool that shows average CTR percentage based on certain factors in organic results. Position one is whatever is in position one whether that's an Ad, a map pack result, or an answer box. Using the tool you can get a pretty good idea of the CTR you should be receiving, depending on how many results appear before the map pack for a certain search.

As far as local ranking after you click through from the map pack, I would imagine creating a similar tool, or performing similar studies would be difficult. You can filter results in the local finder based on rating, price, etc. Plus there is the issue of the results not being the same for each searcher based on their history and location... if anyone knows of such a tool for local results, I'd be interested in it as well... great question!

The question isn't...
Does anyone know of a blog or article that compares the average amount of clicks a listing gets when it's in the 3 pack vs. when it's ranking lower.

... rather what percentage of clicks go to the map-pack when it is present in a SERP. Your question is not the correct way to look at it because the same physical property has an opportunity to rank in both the organic listings as well as the map-pack. Not one or the other.

That being said, statistics show that when a query prompts a map-pack to be displayed in SERPs, the majority of clicks will go to that space and not an organic listing.

So if your company has queries that are important to it's business, that trigger map-pack results, it is imperative that you show up in that space. Just trying to show up in organic for those queries is going to result in little to no traffic.

Hi Jeffrey,

Here's what I have from a client with what I consider a volume of traffic that would be OK to draw conclusions from. The data is from January 2019 till today.

Data is from Organic, Google-only search traffic (3 pack + organic), from new users column in analytics:
Total: 88.7K
Organic: 58.2K (65%)
3 pack: 30.5K (35%)

Revenue ratio:
Organic: 60% of purchases
3-pack: 40% of purchases

Taking into account the Adwords campaign based search traffic in addition to the above:
Total: 133K
Organic: 58.2K (43%)
3 pack: 30.5K (23%)
Adwords: 44.7K (34%)

-Steve

Hi everyone, I am looking for some numbers. We all know that being in the 3 pack is very valuable, but how valuable is it. Does anyone know of a blog or article that compares the average amount of clicks a listing gets when it's in the 3 pack vs. when it's ranking lower.
Thanks,
Jeff

Hi, OIG_Steve,

Pretty useful info you share.

Sorry for my ignorance, but I have a question... how on earth are you able to separate 3 pack data from general organic insights on Analytics?

That got me confused. Again, sorry for the ignorance and thanks in advance.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom