More threads by Melissa Caldie

So I'm curious are any of these via bulk upload?

They weren't claimed via bulk upload.

FYI, little tip on this one: https://plus.google.com/102229129533551593640/about
Google does not like every word capped like that and it often creates a pending review problem. Just thought I'd mention to help you try to avoid a problem.

I'm not sure why it is displaying with caps like that on the Google+ page. The description on my Google Places account definitely does not show up like that. There are actual no capitalized letters in the description since it starts with "100%"...

Very strange.

Thanks for info. Really odd about the caps. Have never known G to do that before.
I wonder if starting a sentence with 100% made it do that?

Thanks for info. Really odd about the caps. Have never known G to do that before.

Just to test, I changed the description so it does not start with a number. I will play the wait and see game to see if the Google+ Local listing changes (and if the crazy caps drop back to normal case).

I'm 99.999% sure it is the fact that the crazy uppercase nonsense on Google Local is due to the Places description starting with a number.

I double checked all of the properties and found another example with the uppercase on Google Local.

I'm still waiting on the location discussed yesterday to update to match the changes made to the Places description.

Sorry tied up in training and trying to help lots of folks with problems all over. Will get back on that other one when I can but could be a couple days. Spread thin!

FYI. Updating on the strange uppercase bug on listing displays...

The google.com/local listing in question finally updated to match the revised description on my dashboard for that location. By removing the number from the start of the description text, the case of all the text went back to normal instead of every single word being displayed as starting with a capital letter.

I have been tracking impressions and actions for several thousand listings and am seeing this trend across them all. Here is a sample of data since October 2012.

04.22.2013-10.png

This global drop in impressions is hard to explain. Considering the actions are relatively consistent, my theory is that SERPs are showing more relevant local results, which is causing less total results to appear per search. For example, over the last several months we've seen much fewer 7-pack results in favor of 3-pack's or even 1-packs. I'd love to hear more from others and it would be great if Jade could weigh in.

04.22.2013-10.png

Just to test, I changed the description so it does not start with a number. I will play the wait and see game to see if the Google+ Local listing changes (and if the crazy caps drop back to normal case).

FYI. Updating on the strange uppercase bug on listing displays...

The google.com/local listing in question finally updated to match the revised description on my dashboard for that location. By removing the number from the start of the description text, the case of all the text went back to normal instead of every single word being displayed as starting with a capital letter.

Ahhh good to know and thanks for confirming that change did it. Had a feeling...

I have been tracking impressions and actions for several thousand listings and am seeing this trend across them all.

This global drop in impressions is hard to explain. Considering the actions are relatively consistent, my theory is that SERPs are showing more relevant local results, which is causing less total results to appear per search. For example, over the last several months we've seen much fewer 7-pack results in favor of 3-pack's or even 1-packs. I'd love to hear more from others and it would be great if Jade could weigh in.

Thanks for the graphic. Really tells the tale! But I wonder if there is really any logic behind the drops or if it's just that the stats are not working right which is often the case.

FYI...

Not sure if anyone else is noticing it (all apologies for not checking newer topics on this same subject) but it looks like this Feb impressions drop is finally over for the 40+ properties I'm watching. Impressions for the last few days are being reported at pre-Feb 19th levels again finally.

Here is part of a screen cap. Some of these locations are in very rural communities so their search traffic was low before the reporting anomaly that hit Feb 19/20.

placesreporting.jpg

placesreporting.jpg

Last edited:
To add to this, I've seen a lot of changes around the Feb 19th, Feb 18th dates as well.

The biggest change that I've seen however is a dramatic drop in branded traffic on internal pages. While most of it has been routed back to the home page, it's an interesting tidbit to note.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom