Using UTM in URLs

liorenda

Forum Member
I have a faint memory of Google (or one of it's employees), telling not to use UTM codes in GMB URLs.
I tried to track it down, but couldn't find any trace of it.
Is my memory playing games with me?

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
We switch it over when we get new clients and I have never seen a ranking drop or a traffic drop as a result. IMO I would always trust your own experience & testing over something said by someone on Twitter :cool:

If it did have some negative impact, you could easily switch it back. I have never heard of one but will see if others chime in.

Brian Barwig

Forum Member
I highly advise using UTM codes to more efficiently tracK website traffic. I use them for all of my clients and have yet to see a dropoff in rankings or any other negative effect from using them. They are effective and worthwhile.

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
I would recommend reading the full conversation on Twitter. He is purposefully vague which raises more questions than answers really.

Dan Foland

Local Search Expert
Mueller and other Googler's are often super vague and purposefully misleading. However like others I've been using UTM codes on my GMB listings for years and have never seen any sort of impact one way or another.

Mueller isn't wrong though that it's beneficial to have a canonical tag in place to help prevent any url separation issues.

Tim Colling

Local Search Expert
If you read the original question in that twitter thread, it asks about whether "link juice" is passed in URLs that have UTM codes, but it doesn't really mention GMB links per se.

Are you counting on getting "link juice" passed to your website from third party links that are pointed at your GMB listing?

liorenda

Forum Member
If you read the original question in that twitter thread, it asks about whether "link juice" is passed in URLs that have UTM codes, but it doesn't really mention GMB links per se.

Are you counting on getting "link juice" passed to your website from third party links that are pointed at your GMB listing?
Not at all. I was just wondering whether it's fine to use UTMs for my GMB listings. After all, if Google does treat those URLs as individual ones, then there's no consistency with my other citations.

Tim Colling

Local Search Expert
Not at all. I was just wondering whether it's fine to use UTMs for my GMB listings. After all, if Google does treat those URLs as individual ones, then there's no consistency with my other citations
Ah, I see. All of the experts that I follow say that that's not a problem.

Tiggerito

Forum Member
You can add utm parameters using # instead of ?. Placing them in the hash means they are not part of the indexed URL.

I frequently tag URLs like this: /page-name#Campaign-Name. I have JavaScript that replaces #Campaign-Name with the utm parameters, lets Analytics do its thing, then removes the parameters.

A bonus from this is that GSC performance reports include the full URL of the GMB listings. Including the ? or # parameters. So you can filter GSC reports to only show data on GMB listings in search. GMB search results are the only ones that can include a #.

By default Analytics does not see the # values, but you can make a mod so that they are included. Not an issue if you are using utm parameters.

Local Search Forum

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Google Product Exert

@LocalSearchLink

Join Our Facebook Group