More threads by Grabgooglesgoogles

Reaction score
Hi!

I was wondering if someone might give me some pointers/things to check to make my business show up on Maps.

The business is Clínica Silos Bormujos, a dental clinic on "Avenida del Aljarafe", a road in the village of Bormujos.

If you search the business by name (first blue link) it appears on Google Maps. If you search the street and look for the business (second blue link), the clinic doesn't appear along with the other businesses on the street (restaurants/a pharmacy/an opticians/etc).

Additional information:
  • My listing is verified
  • The address is 37A, Avenida del Aljarafe. Is it possible that a business at 37, Avenida del Aljarafe be superseding it?
  • The business is consistently cited across 25+ local directories
  • It is using the correct primary and secondary categories (dentist + dental clinic)
  • The site has schema markup
  • The homepage is optimised for dental terms (particularly "dentist") and the location.

Any insight would be much appreciated! What are any common reasons for not showing on the map?

Do a map search for La Taberna Cafeteria, a restaurant in the same building. Then click "Nearby" and search for "dentist". You'll see your clinic. So, your listing is showing up, as you prove with your first link.

What's missing is a "Place Label", as shown in your second link. But not every business listing gets a place label, as described, rather vaguely, in this Google support doc.

See for yourself: search for any street you know well and you'll find that many of the buildings you recognize have no place label.

I suspect one of the unnamed factors would be user interest. That is, the number of searches for a business name or number of visitors to the location. (Number of visitors being determined by number of phones carried into the location that are pinging back to Google, the same way average length of visit is determined.)

Do a map search for La Taberna Cafeteria, a restaurant in the same building. Then click "Nearby" and search for "dentist". You'll see your clinic. So, your listing is showing up, as you prove with your first link.

What's missing is a "Place Label", as shown in your second link. But not every business listing gets a place label, as described, rather vaguely, in this Google support doc.

See for yourself: search for any street you know well and you'll find that many of the buildings you recognize have no place label.

I suspect one of the unnamed factors would be user interest. That is, the number of searches for a business name or number of visitors to the location. (Number of visitors being determined by number of phones carried into the location that are pinging back to Google, the same way average length of visit is determined.)

Thanks Stefan, makes sense :). Just hard to explain to a client why every other business appears but his.

Jack

Thanks Stefan, makes sense :). Just hard to explain to a client why every other business appears but his.

Jack
Jack, I tell my clients that Google is a bit of a black box. Nobody knows exactly how it works.

In fact, that support doc illustrates it well. About place labels, it states they are "...determined algorithmically based on a large number of factors." and then goes on to reveal only "One factor these algorithms consider..."

I have yet to have someone give me a hard time about my "black box" philosophy. In fact, clients generally appreciate the honesty.

Hi!

I was wondering if someone might give me some pointers/things to check to make my business show up on Maps.

The business is Clínica Silos Bormujos, a dental clinic on "Avenida del Aljarafe", a road in the village of Bormujos.

If you search the business by name (first blue link) it appears on Google Maps. If you search the street and look for the business (second blue link), the clinic doesn't appear along with the other businesses on the street (restaurants/a pharmacy/an opticians/etc).

Additional information:
  • My listing is verified
  • The address is 37A, Avenida del Aljarafe. Is it possible that a business at 37, Avenida del Aljarafe be superseding it?
  • The business is consistently cited across 25+ local directories
  • It is using the correct primary and secondary categories (dentist + dental clinic)
  • The site has schema markup
  • The homepage is optimised for dental terms (particularly "dentist") and the location.

Any insight would be much appreciated! What are any common reasons for not showing on the map?

How old is the GMB page? How old is the website?

Hi Josh,

Both the listing and the website have been up since February this year, so around 9 months.

Hi Josh,

Both the listing and the website have been up since February this year, so around 9 months.

You're at the end stages of Google holding back your ranking for both your website and your Google My Business page. Google makes website and GMB pages both "prove" themselves before they really allow you to rank where you "should" based on SEO factors. This timetable seems to shrink or expand based on SEO work done and not done, so you may be completely out of it if you've done a lot of SEO work. There's no way to tell.

My initial hunch was you might be in that time period but at 9 months, it would be tough to tell. If you are in that time period I would tell you to just give it time. If you're not, there's an issue it seems.

Sorry, none of that is probably helpful haha.

My last question would be have you built and backlinks?

Lol. It's actually interesting to know people see a 'trial period' for businesses at the beginning, I wasn't aware of this or it did seem like a possibility, but I hadn't considered that it might last for 9 months or more.

Although hard to know I'd suspect we're still in this, as on organic we have an identically named clinic over 400km away coming before us still, despite lower authority and no local relevance. As for Maps, there are several other businesses significantly less 'optimised' which consistently outrank us too, although all of this is just conjecture as it might have nothing to do with it :p.

As for backlinks the answer is no, that's to say that I've spent a lot of time on citations and it has quite a complete profile, but despite some efforts to create local collaborations I think we've only managed one.

Lol. It's actually interesting to know people see a 'trial period' for businesses at the beginning, I wasn't aware of this or it did seem like a possibility, but I hadn't considered that it might last for 9 months or more.

Although hard to know I'd suspect we're still in this, as on organic we have an identically named clinic over 400km away coming before us still, despite lower authority and no local relevance. As for Maps, there are several other businesses significantly less 'optimised' which consistently outrank us too, although all of this is just conjecture as it might have nothing to do with it :p.

As for backlinks the answer is no, that's to say that I've spent a lot of time on citations and it has quite a complete profile, but despite some efforts to create local collaborations I think we've only managed one.

You could still be in that trial period. It's impossible to know unfortunately so I just kind of default to doing everything I can until we're on the 1st page no matter what. And then if we are in a trial period, we're that much further ahead when the trial period is over.

I would focus on the backlinks. There's reason to think that it could lower the trial period but the main reason would be it would skyrocket your ranking.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom