Warning Google+ Local Hijacking Scam

Linda Buquet

Another scammy company to have to guard your clients from.

Beware of Google Places Hijacking!

A good client of ours recently received the standard Google Place verification postcard with their business name, address and verification PIN. They forwarded it to us purely out of habit. However, the postcard rang alarm bells for 2 reasons:

We hadn?t submitted a new listing or any major changes on their behalf, therefore they shouldn?t be expecting a postcard.
The verification email on the card was not ours, but rather info@businessregistrycenter.com

Looking up the domain, this company is headquartered out of Montreal, Canada. Their service is a complete scam.

Not only are they charging companies to provide nothing more than the free, basic Google Place listings. They are also ?stealing? the listings from legitimate companies, such as our client! We followed up with the info@ email, but received no answer.

So please, be cautious. If you receive a postcard from Google that you weren?t expecting, or the email isn?t yours or your agency?s, please discard it!
Here is a pic of the postcard:

place-hijacking.jpg

If you Google the company name in quotes, plus the word scam, you'll find many reports of this company doing other shady stuff as well.

Thanks Convergency for the head's up!

Linda Buquet

I saw another one in the G forum that I think was a similar scam. The email was info@ and then domain something like uklisting. I wonder if it's same company with a UK domain or a different scam. If I get time later will try to find it and ck whois.

Greg

Thanks for the heads up Linda....

It always amazes me how quickly scam artists spring up when anything new is launched.....imagine if they put in the same effort into doing some good!!!

Regards

Greg

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...

Local Search Forum

Google Product Exert

@LocalSearchLink

Join Our Facebook Group