More threads by Phil Rozek

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
I've never seen this before:

Untitled2.jpg

I poked around a little bit, but didn't see what might be causing that weirdness to be showing in the results.

Anyone else seen it?

dates-google-plus.jpg

Yeah, Schema markup was my first thought, but I didn't see it on the site. But be some weird vestige. Of course, I still wonder how those dates started showing up in the first place.

The cached version of the site is different than the live version and it looks like it's done through a different developer/platform (SpaBoom vs. NOX Creative). My guess is they just (like just, just) launched a new site and that date is from something on the old site and Google hasn't recrawled it yet.

What they should be worried about though is that the robots.txt on the new/current site is blocking the whole site from the search engines:

User-agent: *
Disallow: /

...and they don't have any 301 redirects for old pages and they are all 404-ing. When Google decides to re-crawl it, it's not going to be good.

---------- Post Merged at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Ok...just found where it's coming from. This is in the source of the cached version of the site:
<abbr class="dtstart" title="2012-05-09"></abbr><abbr class="dtend" title="2020-05-09 00:00:00"></abbr>
abbr class='dtstart' title='2012-05-09'> abbr class='dtend' title='2020-05-09 00:00:00'>

<abbr class="dtend" title="2020-05-09 00:00:00">I have no idea what it is, but it's obviously where that date range came from.</abbr>

---------- Post Merged at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:46 AM ----------

Oye...sorry if anyone saw all of those edits I did to that post. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to post that line of code without it disappearing...

---------- Post Merged at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:52 AM ----------

I found a couple of other sites built by the same company that use the same code and show similar date snippets:

http://www.blissanavedaspa.com/
http://www.abetterbodyspa.com/

Last edited:
It's definitely odd that they're using it, but it's definitely got this forum talking about it - and who knows who else is discussing this. It makes the listing look different, and generates interest (though maybe not for the most appropriate reasons). The more unique elements you can add to a local listing, the better (I suppose...).

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom