More threads by Maginot

Reaction score
So I dont check the numbers often, only quarterly when I need to report to certain clients.

I am sitting down with an manager prior to a reporting period just to go over some things so he learns what is happening and I learn what the owner wants.

(I have only had this client for a few months. In fact a month in, they take their website down altogether because they change owners. When I signed them they were 5th page (#42-46).)

Typically we see 400-500 views daily, which this image kinda shows prior to the spike. Now we are seeing 700-800 daily (and we are on the 2nd page (#14-16)). But the concern is May 16-18.

2efu9s8.png

This isnt a florist and it isnt mothers days. They do most of their business in January and August. WTF. Is this a google glitch? Are they quantifying the dates incorrectly? The manager doesnt recall any unusual foottraffic that weekend yet a crapton more driving directions to the business...

Were we magically on p1 for a weekend? (Even without a website)

Any ideas?

This isnt a florist and it isnt mothers days. They do most of their business in January and August. WTF. Is this a google glitch? Are they quantifying the dates incorrectly? The manager doesnt recall any unusual foottraffic that weekend yet a crapton more driving directions to the business...

Were we magically on p1 for a weekend? (Even without a website)

That's a possibility.

But also keep in mind the stats are notorious for going off in the weeds occasionally.

I had a spike 26 - 28 too and my listing is normally pretty dead because I don't really use it or try to rank or anything.

What type of business is it?

Good Q Bryan!

Also where are they located? Not specific address but are they in a strip mall by chance or office building? Because I believe the driving direction are to that building, not necessarily their specific suite. So if they are in a strip mall and someone else there got press or had a big special or something, that could do it possibly?

Hey Maginot, What does your referral traffic look like for that period? Does anything stand out? We usually see this if we run a contest for a practice. Was something done in marketing that might cause an immediate and short term spike. Like Linda said, it could just be a G.A. Hiccup.

Also, SERPS have been kinda crazy lately, but the volatility of the fluctuations can also depend on the city and industry your working in. I'm sure a deeper dig will either expose a source or confirm that G.A. Data is once again messed up.

When you say "(Even without a website)", do you mean there is no website at all? Did you do a search for "site:yourwebsite.com" and "site:www.yourwebsite.com" to see if something is indexing

and what are the landing pages? Any spikes there?

Head over to Moz..they have the same discussion going on: http://goo.gl/Cnkk2M

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom