More threads by Travis Van Slooten

Solutions
Reaction score
I'm kind of in a citation obsession right now as I'm doing citation work for a couple new clients so I've been watching various webinars from some of the rockstar local SEO folks in here and reading various blogs posts, etc. and the general consensus seems to be that there are really only about 12 (give or take) "core citations" that really matter in 2019. Or put another way, if you don't build any other citations, here are the 12 you absolutely need to be sure you have. I say 12 because the stuff I'm consuming says 8, others say "a dozen or so" so I'm just going with 12. If it's only 8 even better:)

The list probably starts with Google, Bing, Facebook, Yelp, YellowPages - and then what?

Travis

P.S. I know the list could vary slightly depending on industry, but there has to be a definitive list of the "core" general citations that every business should have. That's what I'm trying to nail down.

I consider most of the ones you listed (except YP) to be major listings. I'd add Apple Maps to that list.

Depending upon the industry and city, Trip Advisor might make the list too.

All of the above can drive significant traffic.

Hey Travis,

We obsess about this too, and have designed our citation packages to be based on what we consider the most important sites:

Our Essentials+ package probably best represents the core sites that are of the most importance:
  1. Google
  2. Apple Maps
  3. Facebook
  4. Foursqaure
  5. Bing
  6. Yelp
  7. TomTom (need to get into in-car nav systems)
  8. Yellowpages
  9. InfoGroup (aggregator)
  10. Localeze (aggregator)
  11. Factual (aggregator)
  12. Dunn & Bradstreet (aggregator)

Good point adding TomTom. I've started checking them, HERE Maps and Uber.

HERE has been a pain in butt to do manually, so we dropped it. Uber's location data is powered by Foursquare.

Darren - it's been a while. I hope all is well! Thanks for the info. Quick follow up - what about home service businesses - i.e. plumbers, electricians, etc.? They can't submit to Apple Maps directly (though you can sneak in through Yelp), but what about Tom Tom? I'm assuming that would be a no-go as well. And do the "core citations" change slightly for home service contractors? For example, maybe Manta.com would be on the list (and maybe Angie's List and Home Advisor)?

Travis

OpenStreetMap.org (at least partially) feeds the maps on Facebook and Instagram.

BBB.org (especially if client is a member).

@lancemoore22 I've found it easiest to use the "Classic" version. To do so (once you log in), click on this button in the top right-hand corner:
1571923263627.png

This is so brilliant! I had a bunch of these on my list but I totally forgot about car nav systems. Living the the land of old school minivans. Thank you so much for posting.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom