Will Phone # On Adwords Effect Rank On Google+ Local?

jhoecannon

Forum Member
I have been told that to get ranked in the top 7 for Google+ Local (Maps), that it's very important that Google only finds one phone # for your place of business...if the search engines find more than 1 phone number it confuses the search engines and negatively influences ranking.

If this is true, if a business wants to track phone numbers (from potential customers who have clicked on their Google Adwords ads) by using a telephone tracking system which utilizes a unique phone number ( a phone # different from the business's original phone #), will this effect the ability of the business to rank on Google+ Local?

If a business wants to rank in the top 7 for Google+ Local, should they avoid using a different phone # on their Google Adwords advertising?

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Google doesn't scrape or index Adwords ads so you're totally fine to use tracking numbers on them. Same with Bing Ads.

However, you can't use phone #s in the ad text any more with Adwords so make sure you utilize call extensions.

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Great question. I'd say you're safe. Third-party data-providers (like InfoGroup) aren't going to scrape the content of a PPC ad - let alone an ad that has the phone number in an AdWords call extension. Nor would Google: most advertisers don't include a phone number in the ad text or in a call extension, and Google knows that businesses need to split-test ads and so forth, so it's not going to be looking to ads as a trusted source of local-biz data.

The only thing I'd suggest not doing is going into AdWords and "connecting" your Google+Local account/location to your AdWords account (AKA setting up a location extension). If you were using the same phone number in your ads that you use on your Google+Local listing, that would probably be fine, but it doesn't sound like that's the case here.

---------- Post Merged at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:30 PM ----------

@Joy

Ah, I forgot that you can only have a call extension now - thanks!

Local Search Forum

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Google Product Exert

@LocalSearchLink

Join Our Facebook Group