More threads by austins36

austins36

Reaction score
Hello, I recently took on a new client to do SEO services for. Upon analyzing his site I noticed all the "pages" are posts, I am not sure if there is any benefit to using a post as a page?

If there is no benefit and it would be preferred to use a normal WordPress page, what route would I want to take in order to convert the post to a page without losing juice.

If it were me, I would convert the posts to pages - just cut and paste should do.

Then edit the navigation menu(s) to reflect the new URL and redirect via .htaccess. I assume there would be a limited number of posts involved.

Google will see a "post" and a "page" exactly the same. So using one or the other in that regards would not matter. (It's just an organizational thing on your end)

'Posts' on the other hand are part of the site's RSS feed and 'Pages" are not (without modification).
'Posts' are also part of 'Category" and 'Tag" pages (if utilized) which may or may not be of benefit depending on how they are used. If used properly, category pages can rank well by themselves. (Using them wrong can hurt)

So if any of those additional items are being utilized or will be utilized in your SEO doings, then keep them as posts.

If you do switch them, depending on the current permalink structure, I would try to keep the same link structure. But if you need to change it, just be sure to 301 the old format to the new (as mentioned above).

It depends on how your site displays posts. Some sites display posts as pages.

Is there a date on the post? What about the URL structure, does it have dates in it? Does the source code have dates? Does the site have a sitemap? Is the sitemap reporting to Google that the posts are posts?

It might be worth it to migrate them. Just depends.

'Posts' on the other hand are part of the site's RSS feed and 'Pages" are not (without modification).
'Posts' are also part of 'Category" and 'Tag" pages (if utilized) which may or may not be of benefit depending on how they are used.

There is a wordpress plugin that will include pages in the RSS feed. I've used it in the past and it produced satisfactory results.

I don’t recommend posts as the date is displayed in the SERPS. The website could have been set up and coded by an inexperienced persons and may inky display content via posts. I have dealt with lots of those where the homepage was controlled by different posts. If at all possible, move the posts into pages for a cleaner look and feel.

Convert posts to pages. They are be definition different. Posts have a data attached and are less flexible in formatting. Don't forget to create redirects.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom