More threads by Travis Van Slooten

Solutions
Reaction score
I can't be the only one that has noticed this but Google has just completely rolled out the "new" Google Maps. Am I an idiot or are the Google+ Local listings gone? When you click on a map listing from the 7 pack, you go to the new maps and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to click through to the Google+ page for the business. What am I missing?

Travis

---------- Post Merged at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:55 PM ----------

I see that you can get to the Google+ Page if there is a link below the result in the 7 pack, but how do you find someone's Google+ Local listing now via a Google Maps search?

I'm working with a new client and I'm trying to see if he has a listing or any duplicates. Until today, I could just punch in the business name or telephone number in Google Maps and see their search result and click on it to go to the Google+ Page. Now you just get this title thing that hovers over the Google Map. There doesn't appear to be any link to the Google+ Page in Google Maps.

#googleheadache:mad:

Travis

Phil:

Ya, I'm aware of that. This is totally different. There is a new Google Maps. This is what I have had on my computer all day today:

11.22.2013-22.25 - tvanslooten's library - 3 minutes
*This is a video. Just click the link to watch. I show you exactly what I see.

Travis

---------- Post Merged at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:27 PM ----------

I figured it out. You have to switch to "Classic Maps" - which is buried at the bottom of the page under the question mark icon.

http://screencast.com/t/dOPn819Wo - screenshot

That only took about 30 minutes to figure out. Thanks Google:mad:

I don't like this new Google Maps but I guess I'll have to adapt because I'm sure in the near future there won't be an option to switch to the classic maps. When that happens, how will we be able to search for listings? Hmmm.

Travis

Hi Travis,

I can't see anything in that top vid so can't see what you are referring to.

But did you see this? Google Maps Sprouts a 3 Pack and More YAY!

Does that help or is it related? We discussed a lot of this on the Pro call today. You can listen to the recording that I'll be posting in the private forum tomorrow.

As far as no link to G+L listings the new maps has been like that from the beginning. YOu just need to click reviews to get there. But ya I just always use classic maps and the option just moved.

I see that you can get to the Google+ Page if there is a link below the result in the 7 pack

In order to have that "G+ Page" link in the SERP's the listing either has to have 0 reviews or it has to be upgraded to a Local G+ page with the social features. Just an FYI, from what I've been able to tell.

Thanks, Travis. Yeah, the "new" Maps has worked that way all along. Which sucks.

You'll want to sign out of your Google account before trying to use Maps to pull up a Google+ Local listing. That's the only way to get to "old" Maps.

Of course, the easiest way is just to search under the "Local" tab at plus.google.com. You can find duplicates there just fine. (Haven't tried entering phone numbers there, though.)

You'll want to sign out of your Google account before trying to use Maps to pull up a Google+ Local listing. That's the only way to get to "old" Maps.

Actually Phil as I shared in the post I linked to above, you can easily go back to Classic maps from new maps. They just moved the option as I showed in that post.

Or you can just get there directly using this link: https://www.google.com/maps?output=classic

I keep classic maps bookmarked like that so I can just go there without dealing with changing settings.
AND if they ever remove the setting, I'm hoping that link will be a back door in that continues to work.

Cool, Linda. Thanks! I just find switching between old and new Maps to be a PITA, so I'm a bit partial to searching from within G+ these days.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom