More threads by CindyfromAdTrak360

Reaction score
One of my team received notice form Yahoo that they "have reviewed your Yahoo Local Basic Listing submission for XXXXXXXXXXX , but are not able to accept it. Your submission does not adhere to our policy guidelines which are intended to maintain a high quality service for our users and merchants."

YET, when I did a local search on firearms and gun shops - I was shown 10 listings.

Does anyone have a work around for Yahoo? Thanks!

I think they're guidelines are very clear that it's not acceptable to list firearms. If people snuck through, reporting them is the proper action.

Sorry, Flash, but it seems to me that Yahoo is playing favorites. If I play by their rules, (the ones they created) but my competition doesn't, the only winner is my competition. I have no problems with Yahoo policy but it should be applied equally to all. I shouldn't have to police their product by reporting them to their anonymous page called Yahoo! Help ... which by the way is not helpful.

So then it's OK to cheat on your taxes, because other people do and not all of them have been caught?

---------- Post Merged at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:04 PM ----------

I'm not trying to be snide, I'm just pointing out the logic flaw here. There are rules. What other people are doing has nothing to do with whether the rules apply to you or not.

Flash, I think we should agree to disagree when it comes to Yahoo and this issue. I can't not tell my client that his competition is getting away with something and he should just live with it.

To the rest of the community, I still need a work around for Yahoo on my client's behalf since, near as I can find, they don't provide an actual human being in customer service.

Hi Cindy,
Unfortunately, all of the local search indexes have holes in them that some business owners intentionally or accidentally exploit. These directories are not perfect and are sometimes unable to uphold/police their own rules. So, what you are seeing is an error on Yahoo's part. As Flash has mentioned, you can report the error in an attempt to level the playing field.

This is actually an interesting situation. When a marketer or business owner becomes aware of a hole in the system, they have a decision to make. They can either try to exploit it, or they can choose not to do so. Most often, it's wise to to choose not to, because an infraction of a weakness today can lead to a penalty of some kind in future if the system is strengthened.

In your case, you don't really have this option open to you, because Yahoo is apparently doing a good job of upholding their policies in your case, even if they've failed to do so in the past with your competitors, so, in your shoes, I'd chalk that up to their system working correctly. And, you can consider reporting failures of their policy, too.

Nicely phrased Miriam.

And Cindy, if you are a professional SEO, then yes, you should be able to explain to you client why he cannot do so. It would be no different than an accountant having to explain to his client why he won't help him cheat on his taxes, despite other people getting away with it.

In the end, do you want to be the consument professional, or the gal people use to cook their books?

Flash, You have made your point in an incredible way. There is no need to insult me, my work ethic nor continue to respond to any of my posts.

Unfortunately, all of the local search indexes have holes in them that some business owners intentionally or accidentally exploit. These directories are not perfect and are sometimes unable to uphold/police their own rules. So, what you are seeing is an error on Yahoo's part. As Flash has mentioned, you can report the error in an attempt to level the playing field.

This is actually an interesting situation. When a marketer or business owner becomes aware of a hole in the system, they have a decision to make. They can either try to exploit it, or they can choose not to do so. Most often, it's wise to to choose not to, because an infraction of a weakness today can lead to a penalty of some kind in future if the system is strengthened.

In your case, you don't really have this option open to you, because Yahoo is apparently doing a good job of upholding their policies in your case, even if they've failed to do so in the past with your competitors, so, in your shoes, I'd chalk that up to their system working correctly. And, you can consider reporting failures of their policy, too.

Thanks Miriam you always have such a nice way of explaining things!

Flash, You have made your point in an incredible way. There is no need to insult me, my work ethic nor continue to respond to any of my posts.

Cindy I apologize. He can be snarky but I don't think he meant to personally attack you. He was just drawing an analogy I think. But I just talked to him about this post and again am sorry for the way it came off.

I would ask everyone that we try to maintain a cordial and respectful demeanor in this and all discussions here.

Cindy, I don't read Flash as insulting you or your ethics in any way. My interpretation is that he's simply pointing out that in any profession we have to make decisions from time to time as to how to proceed in providing requested services to our clients. What decision you make is entirely up to you but obviously may have implications both for you and your clients down the line. That's not a comment on you personally but on anyone in any professional consultant capacity.

Added: Was posting simultaneously with Linda but she types faster. :)

Miriam, Linda and DJ,

I appreciate the time you took to explain Yahoo policies and Flash's response. Given this is my first day on the forum, I was hoping the community would provide concrete and constructive responses to my question so I can provide specific guidance and service to my client. Flash's style of communication was not what I expected from this forum of peers.

Again, thanks for your explanations. I continue to look forward to many more posts/discussions from this community.

Cindy

Ditto David and Miriam...

And it really is normally a positive helpful place, so pull up a chair and stay awhile! :)

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom