More threads by Rich Owings

Rich Owings

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

It used to be that Yelp didn't filter reviews with check-ins but that is no longer the case. I've got a dental client who we're trying to build Yelp reviews for, to boost their ranking in the omnipresent "top ten dentists in..." They are giving away an electric toothbrush with check-in. They are getting reviews -- 10 in just a few days, but 80% are getting filtered. This seems to be relatively new, so I wanted to share it with the great local SEO community here.

@Rich Owings, how many Yelp reviews does each of those 10 reviewers have to his/her name, on average?

Filtered ones average 1.44 (they range from 1 review to 3 reviews)
Non-filtered ones average 2.5 (one has 2 reviews and one has 3 reviews)

@Rich Owings, the number of reviews is almost always the issue. People with fewer than about 10 Yelp reviews tend to have their reviews filtered often (or always) until they get to roughly 10. The kicker is that reviews in the 1-3 -star range are less likely to get filtered. Even a 4-star is less likely to get filtered than is a 5-star.

Ugh. This was actually the suggested action that Luther Lowe from Yelp suggested at an SMX years ago. He said using a check-in offer was a great way to get more Yelp reviews and stay within guidelines. I guess now that strategy is toast.

I'm still seeing unfiltered reviews with check-ins. Apparently Yelp doesn't target check-in reviews. But maybe the difference is that now Yelp scrutinizes check-in reviews just as much as it's scrutinized non-check-in reviews.

There may still be less of a barrier for reviews with check-ins to clear the filter. After all, I'm seeing success for folks with 1-3 reviews. I suspect there is a lower barrier with dentists than something like restaurants, but there are other factors at play too.

I can confirm this
I'm still seeing unfiltered reviews with check-ins. Apparently Yelp doesn't target check-in reviews. But maybe the difference is that now Yelp scrutinizes check-in reviews just as much as it's scrutinized non-check-in reviews.

New algorithm removes sudden spikes in no. of reviews per day. if they see no reviewers after few days at that same speed.
Believe me Checking is just a badge and nothing else.

New algorithm removes sudden spikes in no. of reviews per day. if they see no reviewers after few days at that same speed.
That meshes with what I'm seeing, although reviewers with more Yelp activity still make it through the filter.

• Wow
Reactions: Jac

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom