More threads by Linda Buquet

-If you want to rank locally for a specific phrase/service, create a page dedicated to that phrase/service in the city you are physically located in and don't forget basic organic ranking strategies!

-If you want to rank in a neighboring city from the one you are physically listed in, you have to be providing true unique value to that area that others aren't. Wanting to rank there because that's where you "get most of your customers from" or because you are "one street over" isn't enough in Google's eyes.

Answer as many questions that your customers/clients/users have in a new, engaging way.

Local SEO and "regular" SEO are *not* the same

---------- Post Merged at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:42 AM ----------

It's people who buy from you, not Google. Be a business people want to discover, learn from, engage with, *and recommend*. Create a reputation online for people first, Google bots second.

Well, like I said, it's not ALL about citation building. :)

Seriously, no one else dropped a citation here? Does that make me a thought leader? ;)

Don't freak out and make knee jerk reactions; analyzing campaign data will lead you to the root cause of the problem :)

All too often I see people jump to ridiculous conclusions about a problem because they didn't take the time to analyze the data. In the end it turns out the root cause is completely different than what they thought.

Don't freak out and make knee jerk reactions; analyzing campaign data will lead you to the root cause of the problem :)

All too often I see people jump to ridiculous conclusions about a problem because they didn't take the time to analyze the data. In the end it turns out the root cause is completely different than what they thought.

Ahhh, that's a REALLY good one Eric. I see it happen all the time when helping folks in forums.

The other problem with local that ties in is for every action there is usually a greatly DELAYED reaction.

So let's say C is really the problem. But someone does not know that and adjusts A.

A week later no change. Then they adjust B and a week later rankings drop. So they think B is the problem. When it's really a delayed reaction to the A change they made.

But all this time C is really at the bottom of it. Then they finally discover C - make changes, wait a week. No results, so they change it back.

Create Valuable, Unique and Relevant content, city specific.

Learn how to consistently build trustworthy, lasting, valuable backlinks.

Came across this older thread and thought it would be interesting to see how some of us would answer the question now..

"Make sure you are ranking in the top 3 in local to be on the first page and throw more money at AdWords" :p

My advice is still the same :)

But I might add in there "Understand that change is the permanent Local SEO climate. And the weather never changes...from changing...yikes."

Be diverse in your strategy, you never know how creatively establishing width will help your visibility.

1) Be Real!

(As in, be a real business, do what real businesses do. Don't be shady and try to trick customers/Google/SERPs...etc)

In just one sentence, what is your best Local Search ranking advice? GO!

I wanted to start a group brainstorming thread with the best short local search pointers.

Share a ONE sentence tip! (But after your sentence can add more details if you like.)

I'll share the 1st 2 (related) pieces of advice - in the next post below.

Then it's YOUR turn!

Inspired by: In just one sentence, what is your best SEO advice? - On Linked in. (1300+ one sentence tips)
<meta property="og:type" content="article"><meta property="og:title" content=""><meta property="og:description" content="Group brainstorming. Join us. Leave a tip and read all the best tips.">
<meta property="og:image" content="">

Relevant content that impress, Local Citation Auditing, email Marketing!

Don't neglect your strategy for gathering reviews. Not just on Google, but on other directories and your website.

I don't see the importance of reviews going away anytime soon. Focusing on this strategy builds the kind of trust that just can't be bought!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom