More threads by bfrazier

bfrazier

Solutions
Reaction score
Hi!

Is losing a verification because of a GBP category update likely?

For this client, we ADDED secondary categories (at scale, through Birdeye) and kept the primary category the same. Almost immediately, more than half of their locations became unverified. It had to be the category updates because the time of the changes aligns all too well, but... why only half of the locations? Not that I WANT more to become unverified, but it just doesn't make sense.

Never seen this happen from adding a secondary category myself! What is your original primary category and what is the new category that was added?

Thanks @ElizabethRule and @noahlearner! The primary category was nursing homes (which is the one we kept the same), and we added aged care, rehabilitation center, plus the other therapies they offer. Anything we added is truly what they provide... no gray areas/nothing "shady."

So I talked to some Local SEO experts who have dealt with this issue, and it seems this is an error that can happen when you are in a specific industry/category and Google does not want you to add a specific type of secondary category. Because you used the API it is now asking you to reverify, compared to if you had done it on the front end dashboard it may have just given you an "error". Unfortunately, you will just have to reverify all the listings that became unverified.

I suggest testing category additions on the front end before doing them in bulk via the API next time.

h/t @krystaltaing @BenFisher :)

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom