Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Will the SSL Deadline by Google in October Really Be A Factor in Rankings?

I read that it's only going to be on Chrome only with a warning sign that the site is "untrusted" which may deter visitors to sites.

I just had 50 new citations for a client and those will have to be corrected with the new url.

Is it worth it? I'm wondering if it will really affect the rankings like google says.

Your thoughts?

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Will the SSL Deadline by Google in October Really Be A Factor in Rankings?

You don't need to update citations when you switch over. Google can understand the 301 redirect and pass along the page rank. I only suggest updating a couple of the main sites like GMB or Yelp.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Joy, do I need to add the 301 redirects myself or does google do it automatically?

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The announcement you're referring to is not a "deadline" and is not directly related to search rankings. This is related to Chrome (the browser), not to Google's search results (the warnings will be displayed in the browser, not the search results).

Firefox also warns users for certain non-https issues and other browsers will most likely follow suit. The warnings in Chrome and Firefox will continue to increase in prominence and for additional non-https scenarios.

Google has been using HTTPS as some sort of potential ranking signal for 3 years now, so again the recent announcement adds nothing new to that aspect.

You could certainly make the case that using HTTPS can indirectly affect search rankings...e.g. if a site isn't using HTTPS, and browser warnings cause a user to leave the site or engage less, this could potentially impact rankings negatively.

At any rate, don't upgrade to HTTPS for SEO, upgrade to HTTPS because it's now a best practice in almost all scenarios and is better for your users.
    Eric Marshall
    zcreative.com

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Eric. If I do tell my clients to make the change, do I need to apply 301 redirects to all the pages of their websites for the new url?

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, 301 redirects will need to be implemented as well as canonicals. Google prefers server side redirects.

Note that all resources including scripts, images, etc. should also be served via HTTPS or you will get "mixed content".

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you!

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Marie Haynes wrote a great article about this a bit ago. It's a pretty thorough overview of all the technical issues that can come up with migrating, and a little explanation of the big picture going on that warrants the switch. You can absolutely mess up the migration. If you're asking about 301 redirects, you should probably bone up on some of the technical background before trying to make the switch for a client.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

James, spot on. I've done a few migrations both small and large. It's never as straightforward as it seems. I'd think about working with a technical SEO type (ahem) for these types of situations. A site audit both before and after is essential to make sure nothing falls through the cracks.

As Eric said, it's not certain if/how Google uses HTTPS as a ranking signal so if you're considering migrating your site to HTTPS for SEO purposes only, you might want to reconsider. Not all non-secure pages will have the warning by October 2017; but Google has said they will eventually show the warning for all pages. However, the warning *will* be displayed for pages with an input field (passwords, search, etc.) so if that applies to your site you'd want to consider doing it sooner than later as that will certainly create a trust issue for your users.

-Linda

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Later versions of cPanel can do the redirects for you automatically at the server level.

1. In cPanel, go to Redirects.

2. Complete the appropriate fields under Add Redirect.

Type: Permanent (301)
    https?://(www.)?: select domain or subdomain via dropdown
    /: enter $
    Wild card redirect: checked

Click on Add

You should then see something like this under Current Redirects near the bottom of the page:

Domain Directory Redirect Url Type
    example.com /$ https://www.example.com/$ permanent

This will automatically add all the required rules and rerwrites to your .htaccess file.