Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    495
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Google Won't Delete Duplicate So What Should I Do?

    My client has his main listing but we discovered a duplicate recently. As usual, I reported the duplicate via the "Report a Problem" link about 4 weeks ago. Google ignored the request so I reported it as a duplicate again via the "Report a Problem" link about a week ago.

    When I went to check on the listing today, Google just marked it as "relocated." Take a look:

    03.22.2013-15.00 - tvanslooten's library

    I thought Google always deleted duplicates? I've never seen this where they refuse to delete a duplicate. Could it be because the duplicate has a different address than the client's main listing...which is on 206 Marina Drive?

    What should I do with this listing as the client doesn't want customers finding this listing - which a couple have already? Can I edit the listing details by removing the address and phone number at least?

    Travis Van Slooten
    TVS Internet Marketing: Helping Small Businesses Increase Their Visibility & Sales Online.

  2. #2
    Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    17,034
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    42

    Re: Google Won't Delete Duplicate So What Should I Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Van Slooten View Post
    I thought Google always deleted duplicates? I've never seen this where they refuse to delete a duplicate. Could it be because the duplicate has a different address than the client's main listing...which is on 206 Marina Drive?
    Hey Travis,

    Technically it's not a dupe. Dupes that they will delete or merge are same business, same location, different NAP.

    If it's a different location then it depends on the situation. Were they previously located there? Did they move?

    Google will seldom delete listings any more if there is a public record anywhere for the business at that location. If if the owner screams I don't want my listing on Google, delete it or I'll sue you, they won't delete it. If business is closed can mark as closed. Moved mark as moved, but they won't delete.

    If there are citations and they used to use that address then Google probably did what they intended and showed it as moved.

    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Van Slooten View Post
    Can I edit the listing details by removing the address and phone number at least?
    Can't have a listing without address and phone #. It would not even be maps listing if it only had a name.

    Can you explain more the real world situation, like they moved or that's a bogus address it's just a bad scrape and they were never there or whatever the specific situation is and maybe one of the Map Maker experts can advise.
    Linda Buquet .:. Forum Founder, Google Local Specialist

    If you benefit from advice here... Please pay the community back by sharing on social OR helping someone else at the forum. Thank you!

    Don't Miss Important News & Tips! Subscribe to Daily Email Digest Here

    Note: Due to mulitple RSI injuries, pardon short replies. Typos? Blame it on "Dragon".

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    55
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: Google Won't Delete Duplicate So What Should I Do?

    It is my understanding that once they have marked it as closed or relocated, it no longer comes back as a search result even though it still exists. This effectively removes it, as a duplicate as it won't be returned as a relevant search result.

  4. #4
    Member Since
    Sep 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    341
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: Google Won't Delete Duplicate So What Should I Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Linda Buquet View Post
    Hey Travis,

    Technically it's not a dupe. Dupes that they will delete or merge are same business, same location, different NAP.

    If it's a different location then it depends on the situation. Were they previously located there? Did they move?

    Google will seldom delete listings any more if there is a public record anywhere for the business at that location. If if the owner screams I don't want my listing on Google, delete it or I'll sue you, they won't delete it. If business is closed can mark as closed. Moved mark as moved, but they won't delete.

    If there are citations and they used to use that address then Google probably did what they intended and showed it as moved.



    Can't have a listing without address and phone #. It would not even be maps listing if it only had a name.

    Can you explain more the real world situation, like they moved or that's a bogus address it's just a bad scrape and they were never there or whatever the specific situation is and maybe one of the Map Maker experts can advise.
    Its not a duplicate as Linda correctly pointed out. A duplicate is a mirror or close twin of a listing/feature. The criteria and selection choice for deleting features is found here: Delete or restore a place - Map Maker Help

    Doesn't Exist - would be used if the business was never there
    Duplicates - not a duplicate as the features are located in different locations (if there was a previous location)
    Closed/relocated is for places that have moved, closed perminantly or seasonal business not currently open but will reopen in X-months. The advice they gave you is correct, provided the 1st location was legit at one time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    It is my understanding that once they have marked it as closed or relocated, it no longer comes back as a search result even though it still exists. This effectively removes it, as a duplicate as it won't be returned as a relevant search result.
    Closed/moved features will show up in a Maps search if someone is searching nearby the feature for that business. Not sure at what proximity is needed to the closed and/or open feature but I've seen search results for closed/moved features. They inidcate the message its closed or moved and will display the new address if Google knows it.

  5. #5
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    495
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: Google Won't Delete Duplicate So What Should I Do?

    Thanks for the replies everyone. This helps a ton. For this specific client, I'll have to check if he ever had a location at that old location. I don't believe he did. I think that listing is a bad scrape.

    Bottom line is this...it sounds like Google did the right thing and we're stuck with this listing. Can I at least go in and change the description via "edit business details" or should I just leave it alone?

    Travis Van Slooten
    TVS Internet Marketing: Helping Small Businesses Increase Their Visibility & Sales Online.

  6. #6
    Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    17,034
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    42

    Re: Google Won't Delete Duplicate So What Should I Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Van Slooten View Post
    For this specific client, I'll have to check if he ever had a location at that old location. I don't believe he did. I think that listing is a bad scrape.
    Wait Travis, that page is CLAIMED, so you need to get log in from the customer. It has description AND is showing as verified, so no need to edit in maps if you can just work in your client's dash.

    G+L: https://plus.google.com/117221223050...ut?gl=us&hl=en

    Links to: St. Simons Island Charter Fishing Guides

    Above site is still live and also owned by Capt. TJ Cheek, same guy that owns the site for the listing you are managing at 206 Marina Dr. So looks like it's his listing and he should be able to give you the log in so you can edit directly.

    Also, as I'm sure you are aware there are some other listings at that same phone that could hurt his ranking OR cause a merge. http://goo.gl/maps/E9pgL
    Linda Buquet .:. Forum Founder, Google Local Specialist

    If you benefit from advice here... Please pay the community back by sharing on social OR helping someone else at the forum. Thank you!

    Don't Miss Important News & Tips! Subscribe to Daily Email Digest Here

    Note: Due to mulitple RSI injuries, pardon short replies. Typos? Blame it on "Dragon".

  7. #7
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    495
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: Google Won't Delete Duplicate So What Should I Do?

    In theory we should be able to login but my client doesn't have it. He says it's possible he created the listing many moons ago but he has no recollection and no records.

    And thanks for the head's up on the other listings. We're aware of those as well. We've been in the process of getting all of this stuff cleaned up.

    Thanks!

    Travis

    Quote Originally Posted by Linda Buquet View Post

    Above site is still live and also owned by Capt. TJ Cheek, same guy that owns the site for the listing you are managing at 206 Marina Dr. So looks like it's his listing and he should be able to give you the log in so you can edit directly.

    Also, as I'm sure you are aware there are some other listings at that same phone that could hurt his ranking OR cause a merge. (912) 617-5577 - Google Maps
    TVS Internet Marketing: Helping Small Businesses Increase Their Visibility & Sales Online.

  8. #8
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    2,853
    Thanks (Received)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Re: Google Won't Delete Duplicate So What Should I Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Van Slooten View Post
    Can I at least go in and change the description via "edit business details" or should I just leave it alone?
    Hi Travis, the business description can only be edited from the dashboard.
    Colan Nielsen l GMB Top Contributor
    Vice President, Local Search at Sterling Sky
    Connect on Google + and Twitter

  9. #9
    Member Since
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,113
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Re: Google Won't Delete Duplicate So What Should I Do?

    Is a listing marked as moved/closed going to hurt their ranking? The logical answer is no but as we all know, computer systems aren't always logical, at least in the human sense.

  10. #10
    Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    17,034
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    42

    Re: Google Won't Delete Duplicate So What Should I Do?

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaMackens View Post
    Is a listing marked as moved/closed going to hurt their ranking?
    Do you mean will it hurt the closed listing or the other listing? Because on the closed listing, it totally pulls it out of search so it won't rank for any keywords. Will only show if you search directly by name/phone.
    So I guess you meant will it hurt the other open listing? No it should not affect it at all.
    Linda Buquet .:. Forum Founder, Google Local Specialist

    If you benefit from advice here... Please pay the community back by sharing on social OR helping someone else at the forum. Thank you!

    Don't Miss Important News & Tips! Subscribe to Daily Email Digest Here

    Note: Due to mulitple RSI injuries, pardon short replies. Typos? Blame it on "Dragon".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •