More threads by Ben_apt

Ben_apt

Solutions
Reaction score
A duplicate GBP listing appeared seemingly out of the blue. This is for a service area business. The duplicate listing lists the business address (client's home) whilst our original and correct listing has it hidden, complying with Google's guidelines.

We reported the duplicate the official way, with over 10 people flagging it as a duplicate over the course of a month.

We expected that the listing would be auto-removed but it's still live.

Going through the official help channels just got us what looks like an auto-reply that says they can't help unless the profile is verified. I want to avoid trying to verify a home-based business that's actually a duplicate listing as that seems like it will start a whole heap of further issues that could really impact the future of the real listing and obviously the business.

More recently the LSA account dropped the link to the original listing and linked itself to this duplicate. Reaching out to LSA support, they said they can't link the correct listing because the phone numbers are different (we use tracking numbers) - despite them having linked the incorrect listing, which also has the different number.

Any ideas on getting this mess sorted out? As I say above, the last think I want to try is to verify the duplicate and attempt a merge later on, as that will likely get very messy.
Thanks

Reactions: SEO
The redressal form is to report malicious content, isn't it? I didn't think it would help with a duplicate and am worried it could cause even more problems.

That's not true. You can report any GBP for violating the TOS that needs to be removed. You need to select not open to the public. They only look at the location being reported.

Thanks. Redressal form filled out - is it worth getting multiple people to fill it out?
It's been a good week and no changes have been made - any idea how long it usually takes? I'm aware I'm not likely to get a follow-up from Google.

Thanks. Redressal form filled out - is it worth getting multiple people to fill it out?
It's been a good week and no changes have been made - any idea how long it usually takes? I'm aware I'm not likely to get a follow-up from Google.
You only need to fill it out once. It can take up to 30 days to be reviewed. If it is not removed in 3 weeks, report back here.

That's not true. You can report any GBP for violating the TOS that needs to be removed. You need to select not open to the public. They only look at the location being reported.

I have almost the same issue as the OP. My client's GBP is fine. It's a SAB, with no address listed. He's a mobile welder with a workshop on his property. A second GBP with no content (except a Google Maps image of his home) suddenly appeared about a month ago. It lists his home address. It has not been claimed.

This duplicate listing appears in search results for one search term. His original GBP is still dominating under all other search terms but he's concerned because the duplicate shows no reviews, nothing.

I was going to try your suggestion of the redressal form but I don't see the option you mentioned "...to select not open to the public" on that form.

Would it be wise to suggest an edit to the second GBP listing? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have almost the same issue as the OP. My client's GBP is fine. It's a SAB, with no address listed. He's a mobile welder with a workshop on his property. A second GBP with no content (except a Google Maps image of his home) suddenly appeared about a month ago. It lists his home address. It has not been claimed.

This duplicate listing appears in search results for one search term. His original GBP is still dominating under all other search terms but he's concerned because the duplicate shows no reviews, nothing.

I was going to try your suggestion of the redressal form but I don't see the option you mentioned "...to select not open to the public" on that form.

Would it be wise to suggest an edit to the second GBP listing? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

If the duplicate is not claimed, then use Suggest an edit and select not open to the public. If that doesn't work use the redressal and select, doesn't exist here.

Any value in us trying to verify the duplicate and then delete it as the Google support rep suggested? I fear that would cause more issues, but wondering if anybody else tried it

Google support should never have suggested this. This is completely wrong. This is precisely why I say Google support is an oxymoron. If you do this, you will be in the same spot again.

If the duplicate is not claimed, then use Suggest an edit and select not open to the public. If that doesn't work use the redressal and select, doesn't exist here.

Thank you for your response. Should I suggest the edit "not open to the public":

1. By logging into my client's Google account (I have full access with his permission) and making the edit on Google Maps.

OR

2. By logging into my agency's Google account (I manage his GBP with my account)
and making the edit on Google Maps?

Never use an account that manages GBPs. Google will suspend that email if you make a fraudulent edit. Yes, you can use not open to the public.

Never use an account that manages GBPs. Google will suspend that email if you make a fraudulent edit. Yes, you can use not open to the public.

Using my client's Google account I clicked "suggest an edit". There was no option to select "not open to the public".

Using my client's Google account I clicked "suggest an edit". There was no option to select "not open to the public".

You can use doesn't exist here.

suggest an edit.jpg

You can use doesn't exist here.

suggest an edit.jpg

Thanks, I found it. It reads:

"You're suggesting that Maps remove "business name" because it is private and doesn't allow public visitors. This includes personal places with no reception desks or public entrances."

The "business name" is identical to my client's business name on his true Google Business Profile listing (a SAB), the one we don't want to lose. Is there a risk Google will remove his good GBP list with 40+ positive reviews along with the duplicate?

Thanks, I found it. It reads:

"You're suggesting that Maps remove "business name" because it is private and doesn't allow public visitors. This includes personal places with no reception desks or public entrances."

The "business name" is identical to my client's business name on his true Google Business Profile listing (a SAB), the one we don't want to lose. Is there a risk Google will remove his good GBP list with 40+ positive reviews along with the duplicate?

The edit will only impact the location you are editing.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom