More threads by Timur

Timur

Reaction score
Hello,

my business was steadily improving rankings on maps, thanks to this forum for support! Here you can see rankings for the main keyword Jul1 vs Nov2. But yesterday, Nov 2, rankings significantly dropped overnight. The position dropped from 1 to 10, and further. Then, by the end of the day, it recovered most of the rankings. But now it has dropped again! Can anyone tell me what is going on?

The one more bizarre thing in SEO is that my website constantly jumps across positions 2-6 during the day, according to the Google Ads Anonymous preview tool.

I have never seen something like that before.

Maps1Jul23.jpg

Maps1nov23.jpg

It's most likely related to this. I would just hang on for a few days to see how it shakes out.

Have your rankings stabilized Timur? Mine have also been all over the place this weekend, going from an average of 10 to 20+, then going up to 5, back down to 20+ etc. I checked this morning and they are at 15 for my target keyword, which is significantly lower than last week. I am hoping this is not just the new normal, and that more changes are to come.

Hi Rod, mine too, big fluctuations continuing today (Wednesday). Especially on mobile weirdly, but that's anecdotal. Almost sure to be the core update that Colan/Joy picked up...

My rankings are going crazy as well for a few clients. One really interesting thing is for the keyword "water treatment", top ranking profiles always had the primary category of "water treatment supplier" or "water purification company". After the update in some locations, the top 3-5 are now all "Laboratory", which look like abandoned profiles with 2-3 reviews. It's driving me crazy!

Oh that's interesting; I've been going through the businesses that seem to have benefited and they also all have primary categories in common, which were previously lower ranked (but more relevant than 'laboratory' in your case!). Have you experimented with changing primary category? I guess I'll leave it a bit and see if things settle down..

Ya definitely going to wait to see how it shakes out. I have a client meeting tomorrow though and was planning on saying if it sticks then we'll definitely want to make some major adjustments to the GBP and the site. I'll come back here if I see any big changes.

For what it's worth, after a couple of days of wild fluctuations, my rankings seem to have stabilised roughly where they started(!)

Oh that's interesting; I've been going through the businesses that seem to have benefited and they also all have primary categories in common, which were previously lower ranked (but more relevant than 'laboratory' in your case!). Have you experimented with changing primary category? I guess I'll leave it a bit and see if things settle down..

Sounds like a set of queries may have been reanalysed to center on a different primary category. For two years we keep seeing wild swing with the French keyword "peinture au pistolet" every two core updates or so (hardware store -> painting/spraypainting contractors -> paint stores). See also this discussion for a different example.

So mine is still going crazy. The day before yesterday I fell to position 15 from the 1st, then got back to 1st, today I am at 16 position!

SEO rankings for the main city also fluctuate, I am floating between pos 2 to 9 during the day. Crazy

Still huge fluctuations for me as well. I'm new to SEO so I'm not sure if this is just normal or if there's something I can do differently to stabilize rankings.

Morning yesterday:

1700067218965.jpg

Evening that same day:

1700067289623.jpg

Very similar scale of fluctuation to what I had. Sorry, that's no help to you I know. Out of interest, is the business 'open' at the time of both your tests?

Good point! I think the business was closed at the time, but I have seen similar fluctuations even just from the morning to the afternoon this past week.

Very similar scale of fluctuation to what I had. Sorry, that's no help to you I know. Out of interest, is the business 'open' at the time of both your tests?

@chriscc You're correct. I've noticed similar occurrences with my client's keywords. They rank highly in the morning, around 8 am when his business opens, for about half an hour, and then again in the evening for another half an hour before closing.

Is this a new test by Google?

Have you tried setting up a second report using a different ranking tool, just to confirm that it's not the tool that's wrong?

I'm seeing the same thing Silverweb mentioned, I rank very highly in the half hour after my business opens and in the half hour before it closes. At all other times of the day my rankings have tanked compared to October. I see the same trend in Bright Local and in Local Falcon. No idea what is causing it. I have tried fiddling around with Business Categories and other settings, but nothing has helped.

Middle of the day:
1700890281038.jpg

Later that same day, 15 minutes before my business closed:
1700890316025.jpg

After closing that same day:
1700890369518.jpg

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Live Webinar - Local SEO Audits

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom