More threads by Larry Linson

Reaction score
I may have beaten this issue to death, and for that, I apologize in advance. I don't feel I have framed my question in a way that helps me get a straight answer. This issue is whether moving to a co-share office is going to result in a suspension of my GBP account. A few here have answered, if I may paraphrase, "oh stop being a cheapskate and get an office already" (I know they did not say it that way!). That may be the route I take, but please don't bother to give me that view again.

As I have read, an office co-share is not per se against the guidelines. I believe the 2 keys are: sufficient signage, and availability during office hours. This latter one is the stickiest, as I understand "availability" does not include the co-share office front desk, but rather the business owner or its employee must be present during office hours, right?

How in the world does Google assess that? As I have pointed out elsewhere, nothing would prevent a business from taking a lease in a test market and never darkening the door of the office, all the while getting number 1 Google 3 pack placement.

So since Google has no way to verify that in fact you are seeing customers during listed business hours isn't it likely they will just fall back on "suspicion" in suspending a GBP in an office co-share? That is, simply assume just because it is a co-share that it is a violation of the guidelines? When I think of the phrase "trust but verify" there is no way to verify - therefore Google simply does not trust the co-share GBP.

Does anyone have an example of suspensions based on non-availability during business hours? How in the world can they support it if in fact they never sent a "secret shopper" to your business during office hours and found you or your employee absent?

Are there things one in a co-share could do to make it less likely they will be suspended? Take a picture of the sign or leaderboard, yes. But since in a co-share it more likely I will not be there every weekday from 9-5, would it make more sense to start each week planning when I will be in the office and changing my office ours accordingly? Seems like a major hassle, but then so is this, thanks to Google's interference with my business. Everyone I have shared this tale with cannot believe it: "why is this any of Google business?" they say.

If I do the co-share and I get suspended I would be inclined to simply go get a lease. Is there any risk there? That is, you are back to normal again?

Thank you to all for your advice.

I think you're on the right track for things Larry.

Let's start with the easy stuff;
If you get suspended, you just need to prove that you're real and you're back on track. So if suspended and you get a new lease, you just need to verify it, and you're off to the races again - no major headache.

The guidelines from Google is that the office space must be staffed by your staff, not that of the building, and you must be available to greet and meet visitors within the timeframes you have specified that you're open at that location.

We used a Regus office for years. We had a physical office door, and we were there every day and never had an issue. Regus was also known for their "hot-desk" system where you could just rent a desk, and they drop you in a random room or common area - from Google's guidelines, those did not count as an office.

The proof of things is always interesting. Even when we upload proof that a location doesn't exist or the office is a storage unit, it's often rejected. But one thing they could do, and I've never seen it done, is make random calls and request a video.

For the most part, it all comes down to trust from Google's end. They trust that you're being truthful and keep that stance until proven wrong. So unless a competitor or someone reports that you're not at a location, you will generally not have issues.

Do I think you should lease an office, pay Tripple Net, and have all the other expenses right out the gate? No, especially not in today's world. However, if you want to be on the map itself, then a physical office with your own staff at that location is one of the requirements in the guidelines.

I may have beaten this issue to death, and for that, I apologize in advance. I don't feel I have framed my question in a way that helps me get a straight answer. This issue is whether moving to a co-share office is going to result in a suspension of my GBP account. A few here have answered, if I may paraphrase, "oh stop being a cheapskate and get an office already" (I know they did not say it that way!). That may be the route I take, but please don't bother to give me that view again.

As I have read, an office co-share is not per se against the guidelines. I believe the 2 keys are: sufficient signage, and availability during office hours. This latter one is the stickiest, as I understand "availability" does not include the co-share office front desk, but rather the business owner or its employee must be present during office hours, right?

How in the world does Google assess that? As I have pointed out elsewhere, nothing would prevent a business from taking a lease in a test market and never darkening the door of the office, all the while getting number 1 Google 3 pack placement.

So since Google has no way to verify that in fact you are seeing customers during listed business hours isn't it likely they will just fall back on "suspicion" in suspending a GBP in an office co-share? That is, simply assume just because it is a co-share that it is a violation of the guidelines? When I think of the phrase "trust but verify" there is no way to verify - therefore Google simply does not trust the co-share GBP.

Does anyone have an example of suspensions based on non-availability during business hours? How in the world can they support it if in fact they never sent a "secret shopper" to your business during office hours and found you or your employee absent?

Are there things one in a co-share could do to make it less likely they will be suspended? Take a picture of the sign or leaderboard, yes. But since in a co-share it more likely I will not be there every weekday from 9-5, would it make more sense to start each week planning when I will be in the office and changing my office ours accordingly? Seems like a major hassle, but then so is this, thanks to Google's interference with my business. Everyone I have shared this tale with cannot believe it: "why is this any of Google business?" they say.

If I do the co-share and I get suspended I would be inclined to simply go get a lease. Is there any risk there? That is, you are back to normal again?

Thank you to all for your advice.

I thought that this was asked and answered. We are beating a dead horse. You can use a co-working space. You need to have an office with signage. That's the only requirement. The same is true if you get a storefront office. Just because you move to a co-working space doesn't mean you will get suspended if you dot your I's and cross your T's. You are severely overthinking this when it's super easy. Move to a co-working space, or keep the GBP at your home address; it's fine.

But once I change my address across the internet and on my website, I now have a dissonance: hidden home address on GMB profile, co-share office location every where else. How is google going to treat that in terms of Google 3 pack ranking?

Sorry what I meant to say: if I stay with home address hidden on GBP what does it mean for all the addresses across the internet, including my website? I essentially have an incorrect address on my website and across the net, and I hardly want to blast my home address out there. Interestingly now that I have made this change I am appearing on the Google 3 pack MORE. Makes no sense. I hate Google.

Nobody can answer this question. There are too many variables in play here. How close are you to another business with the same primary category? On Thursday, I was tasked with investigating why a client wasn't ranking in the map pack. I set up a report to track their main keyword with and without the city name. They weren't ranking for the keyword with the city name. It was because there was another GBP with the same primary category at the same address. Once I removed the other one from Google, our client ranked and dominated their market.

There is a lot more to Google and rankings than citations.

PlacesScout report.gif

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom