More threads by Tim Colling

Tim Colling

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi - New here, this looks like a great resource. I hope to help sometimes!

Question: a new client comes to me and has one real office and six or so "satellite" offices that are really po box places. They're all in what used to be Google Places. Shall I just go and mark them as closed, all at once? Is that going to bring down undesired manual action wrath from Google?

Thanks!

Hi There, welcome to The Local Search Forum, glad to have you.

I don't think it's necessary to mark them as closed. You will want to make sure that they aren't claimed/verified into a Google Places account though.

Google can't really penalize a business for having unclaimed listings floating around. Google scrapes together these types of listings all the time so that would be unfair.

Hi There, welcome to The Local Search Forum, glad to have you.

I don't think it's necessary to mark them as closed. You will want to make sure that they aren't claimed/verified into a Google Places account though.

Google can't really penalize a business for having unclaimed listings floating around. Google scrapes together these types of listings all the time so that would be unfair.

Hi - Thank you very much for taking time to answer my question. I appreciate your help!

Unfortunately, these listings WERE claimed and verified in a Google Places account, and in fact WERE created by the owner, years ago, for SEO purposes.

With that in mind, what do you recommend that we do?

Thanks!

They need to be deleted from the account. Since they are in violation Google could suspend the entire account including the actual location.

They need to be deleted from the account. Since they are in violation Google could suspend the entire account including the actual location.

So, really delete them, not just mark them closed? Isn't that a red flag?

Delete from dash. That does not delete them from maps. Just removes from account so you can't get in trouble for them. If there are no citations they'll eventually drop off maps.

Trying to close them when they are all still claimed in dash could trip a bigger red flag I think.

Thank you for your quick responses, Linda. I appreciate your help!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom