G+ Local Edits Showing Quickly

m_j_gregory

Forum Member
Hey All,

Just thought I'd stop in and share (what I am pretty sure) is a new feature in Google+ Local.

A colleague of mine pointed out today that edits on Google+ Local listings are now appearing live rather quickly. He had performed a name change on a Google+ Local page, hit submit, waited roughly 2 minutes, and a message appeared that stated:

"Your edits are now live on Search, Maps, and all Google properties."

Furthermore, we have verified that the name change did show live across all Google properties.

Has anyone else seen this messaging?

Thanks,
Matt

Linda Buquet

Thanks so much for sharing the news and sceenshot Matt!

Just thought I'd stop in and share (what I am pretty sure) is a new feature in Google+ Local.
You said Google+ Local but I "think" that's because the image you show above is a MERGED (verified) Google+ Local page. I saw that message once and my edit was immediate. I think that's one of the benefits of merging your G+ Local and G+ Business page.

I think the pure G+ Local (AKA Place Pages) still have the old slow update cycle.

Linda, I agree with you, the merge listings have the most opportunity perform and the instant update is a just another example of good things from Google+ Local.

Matt, it is good to see these changes are occurring for the greater good of the cause. Keep the updates coming. -Daniel

m_j_gregory

Forum Member
Hi Linda,

Yes, you are correct, thank you for clarifying. Also, I'm glad to hear you have seen the same messaging.

On a side note, do you think this will have any impact on listings moving forward (in terms of citations)? It seems like they could play less of a role in a listing's data if edits are implemented this quickly. Almost as if the edits made in the dashboard of the listing could 'trump' any citation data that is already out there. Ultimately, making NAP changes less of a pain in our rears?

Mike had recently written a pretty insightful post about the future of citations and local optimization found here:
Will Citations Stop Being Effective for Local Optimization in the Future? | Understanding Google Places & Local Search

The timing seems coincidental. Granted, I'm not saying they won't be relevant by any means, just thinking out loud here.

Hope all is well!

Thanks again,
Matt

---------- Post Merged at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Hey Daniel,

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! I'll do my best to keep them coming.

-Matt

Linda Buquet

Thanks Daniel and I agree Matt should keep 'em coming! :)

Thanks Matt for posting that link to Mike's. That was a really good post and I shared my thoughts about citations in the comments.

Will Citations Stop Being Effective for Local Optimization in the Future? | Understanding Google Places Local Search

Still important to have a good citation base on the most important authority sites and directories and to keep expanding your local footprint can't hurt (if you do it in smart ways). But citations just aren't the main ranking factor like they were back in the old "7 Pack" days. So many more ranking signals now.

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Somehow, I didn't know about the faster push-out of edits for the merged listings. Thanks, guys!

Linda Buquet

Somehow, I didn't know about the faster push-out of edits for the merged listings. Thanks, guys!
Ya Phil, we are all just figuring this stuff out as we go along. :)

Here's the Help doc for turn around times for Verified G+ pages just in case anyone has not seen it yet.

Edits to verified local Google+ pages appearing - Google+ Help

Edits that you make to your verified local Google+ page may be subject to review, so you may not see your changes reflected immediately. After you?ve saved your changes, three things can happen:

Some edits may go live shortly
Some edits may be pending review
Some edits may be rejected

Pending edits
You may see a message at the top of your page if any of your edits may still be in review. When you first verify your business listing your information is also subject to review. Note that in either of these cases, the review process may take several business days.

While edits are in review, your customers won't see your changes yet. You can click View as public to see the public view of your page. Once all edits have gone live or been rejected, you?ll see a message on your page letting you know.

Rejected edits
Google may review edits for quality before publishing, so at times you may find that we haven't accepted some of your edits.

Linda Buquet

Just tweeted the post above AND am bumping since I made that post at 11:30 last night, so many of you may have missed it.

Anyone else noticing fast update times?

Anyone getting edits denied???