Google Maps API - Is it Required?

FriarTuck00

Forum Member
I apologize in advance if this was posted somewhere else but I didn't see it. Is the Google Maps API required for embedding a Google Map onto a webpage? Or can you still embed using the "old" free method?

travelincat

Forum Member
As of June 11, 2018 all websites need an API key to use Google maps. Without it, you will see this: "This page can't load Google Maps correctly” and the map will display “For development purposes only"

Tim Colling

Local Search Expert
@JoyHawkins answer above is most likely the right answer. When you gain access to the client's site, please let us know here what you've found to be the answer.

For what it's worth, I see a lot of contact page map problems like the one that you have shown. It's not a good look, is it? :oops:

Bob Kahns

Forum Member
This is what I am seeing on a new client's website:

View attachment 3432
Looks like this client is using a full screen map embed, which would require the Map API.
Using the "old" method as Joy referenced would change the map size shown on the website, but would not require an API key.
API keys are free and the change made in June was to pricing tiers/structure. Depending on the amount of traffic to the page(s) using the API key will determine monthly payment (with a $200 credit each month given by Google, and any overages charged.

Local Search Forum

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Google Product Exert

@LocalSearchLink

Join Our Facebook Group