More threads by JoyHawkins

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Google stopped allowing businesses to set up Messaging via SMS quite some time ago but all the businesses that have Messaging already that set it up with SMS beforehand were still able to use this.

Not anymore. I just got this email from Google:

Keep messaging active for your business
On November 15, messaging will move from SMS to the free Google My Business app. This means you’ll no longer receive an SMS when customers reach out to you.
gif.gif

I received that email yesterday.

I don't use the GMB app, so I guess that means that any potential customers that message me will think the message went thru? Or will Google turn Messaging off themselves?

I believe they are going to shut the feature off.

I just don't understand how Google keeps ignoring multi-location businesses in all of this! How am I supposed to have a small call center service customers this way? I can't have a separate device on every agent's desk. And unfortunately, since we're under an agency account, we can't even use the app. There has to be a better way!

Last edited:
Two questions:
  1. Is there any type of work-around so that our clients can use desktop, not a phone? Ex. There's multiple people that answer the phone and that changes throughout the day. Rather than having each of them download the app and type on their phone, is there a way they could respond to messages on desktop?
  2. Has anyone figured out a solution for organizations with more than 1 location? Ex. we work with a non-profit that has 5 locations.

Having received a few messages through the new app mechanism, I notice that it shows me responding as myself, not as the business owner. When using the text messages, my responses were simply tagged as ‘business owner’ without any personally identifying information. For my own business page this is fine that it shows my identity, but for other pages I manage I would prefer it show as from the business. Hopefully it will become an option like Facebook has for commenting as self or page.

Right now the options are severely limited. I know that there are a couple partners like Podium that have the option to do this via a web interface but we looked into it and couldn't justify the cost (it was like $400/month per location).

A lot of my clients are web-wary to begin with and we have to hold their hands on this. Would it make sense if the client and I are on a comfortable texting footing and I just send them what I get off the app messaging?

A lot of my clients are web-wary to begin with and we have to hold their hands on this. Would it make sense if the client and I are on a comfortable texting footing and I just send them what I get off the app messaging?

If you manage the listing in an agency dashboard you can't use the app (thus can't use messaging).

This system was kind of hard to work with anyways. I am in the home services (HVAC, plumber, etc) and found replying to the questions we received very difficult. I would have rather had a web-based interface.

Right now the options are severely limited. I know that there are a couple partners like Podium that have the option to do this via a web interface but we looked into it and couldn't justify the cost (it was like $400/month per location).

As Joy mentions, there are Google-partnered products that let you message from a desktop and/or manage your messages across multiple locations, in a unified way.

Some are significantly cheaper than $400/mo too.

(I work at such a company with a $50/mo product.)

Happy to point folks in the right direction. Just shoot me a message!

👍

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom