More threads by JeffClevelandTN

Solutions
Reaction score
During a review of one of my clients that has several locations in Charlotte, I ran across this competitor's GBP.
Screen Shot 2023-11-13 at 7.32.28 PM.jpg

Really?!! We all know it has been a problem for many years, but it just keeps on getting worse. For our clients, as we've done for years, we go thru the proper method of registering an alternate/DBA name. But lately, I wonder if it is worth the trouble. No use in reporting this GBP as Google will do nothing...

During a review of one of my clients that has several locations in Charlotte, I ran across this competitor's GBP.
Screen Shot 2023-11-13 at 7.32.28 PM.jpg

Really?!! We all know it has been a problem for many years, but it just keeps on getting worse. For our clients, as we've done for years, we go thru the proper method of registering an alternate/DBA name. But lately, I wonder if it is worth the trouble. No use in reporting this GBP as Google will do nothing...

1699922788048.jpg

You're right @JeffClevelandTN. Another similar example of keywords stuffing.

Also look at this one:

1699922880308.jpg

the 2nd one doesnt even verified and got no reviews, they still ranks in the top.

One day google will destroy these listings. Their time will come.

Something needs to be done. We haven't had much luck reporting these through the redressal form. Even when we provide business registration information from the state website showing the legal business name, we still don't get much traction on getting them corrected.

1699974563984.jpg

Something needs to be done. We haven't had much luck reporting these through the redressal form. Even when we provide business registration information from the state website showing the legal business name, we still don't get much traction on getting them corrected.
Yes, totally agree. That is why I mentioned that Google simply won't do anything. You can report it to Google directly from the spammy GBP listing using "suggest an edit" and often Google will fix the name, however it is only a temporary fix as the GBP manager/owner can simply put it right back to the spammy name. You can also use the redressal form (as you've done), providing legitimate evidence from the Secretary of State along with photos of the actual business signage, logos, and vehicles, but even if Google takes action, it is again only a temporary fix as the owner can simply change it back again. We've tried reporting numerous spammy GPB names, using "suggest and edit" and redressal forms countless times but Google doesn't keep track or truly penalize repeated offenders.

Last edited:
Darren, I think it will be hard to find a GBP more spammy than that! Wow!​

Haha! The single 1 star review on that GBP is just the perfect icing on the cake.

@stankolev those are absolutely CRAZY names! So, it looks like Google allows up to 250 characters based on your examples. I'm assuming that must be the limit as those two businesses would have probably used more if they could have. Back in 2017 @mblumenthal published his findings where the maximum at that time was 100. Google doesn't specify a maximum allowable length: Guidelines for representing your business on Google - Google Business Profile Help

However, doing some super quick research some states do have limits to business character length and many more have suggested recommendations of 80 characters and not more than 120. If Google would impose a reasonable limit on the character length, at least in the US, it definitely would prevent this absurd abuse without having to involve a human reviewer at Google, which almost never happens anyways.

@stankolev those are absolutely CRAZY names! So, it looks like Google allows up to 250 characters based on your examples. I'm assuming that must be the limit as those two businesses would have probably used more if they could have. Back in 2017 @mblumenthal published his findings where the maximum at that time was 100. Google doesn't specify a maximum allowable length: Guidelines for representing your business on Google - Google Business Profile Help

However, doing some super quick research some states do have limits to business character length and many more have suggested recommendations of 80 characters and not more than 120. If Google would impose a reasonable limit on the character length, at least in the US, it definitely would prevent this absurd abuse without having to involve a human reviewer at Google, which almost never happens anyways.

What about businesses registered in one state and operating in another? I think it is too complicated to track laws across states/countries for something like that.

P.S. Back in 2021, there were listings above 250 characters ( Google Local Spam Hall of Fame: We Have Some (real?) Winners ). However, I cannot find any listings above 250 characters now, so it is likely that Google has limited business names to 250 characters.

What about businesses registered in one state and operating in another? I think it is too complicated to track laws across states/countries for something like that.

P.S. Back in 2021, there were listings above 250 characters ( Google Local Spam Hall of Fame: We Have Some (real?) Winners ). However, I cannot find any listings above 250 characters now, so it is likely that Google has limited business names to 250 characters.

No I agree, I think that Google should impose a limit of maybe 80 characters. That would still result in some spammy names obviously and doesn't fix keyword stuffing, but would eliminate the egregious offenders. I see you were given a shout-out by Mike in the article you referenced above :)

No I agree, I think that Google should impose a limit of maybe 80 characters. That would still result in some spammy names obviously and doesn't fix keyword stuffing, but would eliminate the egregious offenders. I see you were given a shout-out by Mike in the article you referenced above :)

Yep, not my first round digging up spammy names : )

With 80 characters you get in the other end. Why I can not represent my business with its name? What to do with older listing, should they cut them, when and what to cut and many more. They should better distinguish when the search term is brand and when keyword, that is. If risk / value decrease significantly it will not be worthwhile to try to spam the business name.

Has anyone found a method of using the business redressal form that actually works? The businesses around here are getting more and more bold with their keyword spam. Used to be that I could submit an edit and it would stick for several days, now they change it back to the keyword spam version within hours. I've submitted redressal forms but no idea if they have done anything - maybe google already made the change and the business just changed it back immediately. Do I just keep submitting new redressal forms every week?

Has anyone found a method of using the business redressal form that actually works? The businesses around here are getting more and more bold with their keyword spam. Used to be that I could submit an edit and it would stick for several days, now they change it back to the keyword spam version within hours. I've submitted redressal forms but no idea if they have done anything - maybe google already made the change and the business just changed it back immediately. Do I just keep submitting new redressal forms every week?

Hi Rod, yes that goes back to my original statement, nothing works any more. You can submit an edit and even if Google accepts it, the worst offenders (as you've experienced) change it back within 24 hours. Our experience is the same with redressal forms, you can take the time and effort to submit evidence (photos, documentation, etc) but same outcome. Although I am not a big fan of Yelp, they take their name verification process seriously and it is more difficult to put in keywords and/or city in your business name without justifying it.

I appreciate everyone's feedback! Misery enjoys company :)

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom