More threads by mikepcservice

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am going through the SEO Audit on my bud's site using Ubersuggest.

As the attached screenshot is showing it mentions 15 pages have duplicate meta description tags, I am not understanding what "tags" it is referring to, any ideas please?

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 12.18.49 PM.png

I think the tool is just referring to the meta description as a "tag". I see that quite often.

Do the pages actually have duplicate meta descriptions?

Wait a minute. If Ubersuggest is referring to the Meta Description based on this:

The meta description tag in HTML is the 160 character snippet used to summarize a web page's content. Search engines sometimes use these snippets in search results to let visitors know what a page is about before they click on it.

Then it is very wrong as every page has it's own unique meta description.

I just checked two pages on that site, and they both have duplicate meta descriptions. They look to be the default meta descriptions from Wordpress:

<meta name="description" content="Just another WordPress site" />

Each page should have a unique meta description that provides users an idea of what content resides on the page.

Oh shoot each page has (2) meta descriptions lol, the one you wrote and the Wordpress one. You just need to remove the auto Wordpress meta descriptions from each page.

You can see Google grabbing the wrong one for the homepage here:

1569953164851.png

Thanks but I am not seeing the Wordpress one on any page. This what is showing on one page for example

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 2.14.55 PM.png

WP Dashboard >> Settings >> General Settings >> Tagline

What does it say next to Tagline?

That's where the default WordPress tagline "Just another WordPress site" comes from.

Has that been changed recently?

Are you using any SEO plugins on that site that might be still propagating that?

Are you using any plugins that modify the header? e.g., one that allows you to insert scripts or HTML in the header?

WP Dashboard >> Appearance >> Customize

Look for Theme Options or Site Identity or Header and check for anything in the Tagline entry there.

Guessing a plugin (or badly coded theme) is adding the meta tag capability but not removing the default meta tag.

Check the template header.php file for something like this:
<meta name="description" content=">
You might have to delete the line of code.

Thanks, I have asked the theme developer to look into this, will report back on what he finds.

Developer tried to fix but it still shows so he is trying again. Should this end up being an unfixable theme issue by him, I will need to use the WP option for the Meta info.

So let me ask, aside from the suggestions offered by the plugins to optimize the content, any plugin will not offer anything more than the default WP Meta info option, is right please?

Have you checked what I suggested above?
Are you using any SEO plugins on that site that might be still propagating that?

Are you using any plugins that modify the header? e.g., one that allows you to insert scripts or HTML in the header?

WP Dashboard >> Appearance >> Customize

Look for Theme Options or Site Identity or Header and check for anything in the Tagline entry there.
The default meta should not be there. You have to find out what is inserting it, not add more metas. Otherwise, you'll perpetuate the problem.

When you say developer, do you mean the custom theme developer?

No, the site developer who built the site, he had provided the theme so it will be between him and the theme developer to sort this out.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom