More threads by Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR

Reaction score
Hello, one of my customers wants me to give them search volumes of keywords for every city. Ahrefs, Moz or Semrush don't have this kind of service. Keyword Planner gives the volumes based on countries or big regions like federal states but not for cities. Semrush actually has a tool for it but I wonder whether there are some other methods for this or not?

Hey Koray!

I can see you're based in Turkey. Can I ask if your client is also in Turkey? I only ask because if you're working with clients in the US, UK, Australia, or Canada then you can use BrightLocal to track rankings at city or zip code level. And an added bonus is that we offer a 14-day free trial option so you don't have to spend a penny to get the initial report.

Unfortunately our rank tracking tool isn't available outside of those four countries just yet, hence why I ask. And I'm actually not aware of any that do service Turkey but someone else may have a suggestion for you if so!

Best of luck either way and feel free to pop me a message if you want to discuss further :)

Hello Stephanie!

Thank you for the detailed answer. Actually, I know a little bit about BrightLocal but still, I couldn't use it because of these kinds of geographic issues. :) But it is nice to know that there are valid methods to calculate search volumes per city.

Thank you again. But if anyone else knows something else, I want to hear. :)

Stay healthy!

Hey Koray,

You can do this via the Google Ads Keywords Planner. Choose the option to forecast and at the top of the tool you can refine the geographic area to be just a city and it will update the search volume like in the example below.

1586346070101.png

I should warn you that I've found it's not overly accurate but will help you define which cities get more search volume.

Hello Joyanne Hawkins,
1586349396775.png

Thank you for help! But I must say that I couldn't find the cities option here? Might it be a regional feature?

Last edited:
One way to find this out would be to actually run a google ad campaign so you can get data for the area in the country - you can run it for a week or so and then extrapolate based on what your actual exposure is - As Joy says the tools aren't entirely accurate - but the data from a campaign would be a data-based way to come up with a range of search volume for the area.

In Google Keyword Planner you usually get an estimate for keywords like 1k-10k for example.

If you look at two different keywords with that estimation they could have vastly different search volumes.

To find out a better estimation you can do this:

Add the keyword(s) to your plan.

Go in the overview of the plan and click on the dropdown that brings out that chart over cost/clicks and set the CPC to the highest possible.

Then go check the impressions for the keyword. since you chose the highest CPC the impressions should be fairly close to the monthly search volume for said keyword(s).

Pardon my terminology, my google keyword planner is not in english and I was to lazy to switch it.

One way to find this out would be to actually run a google ad campaign so you can get data for the area in the country - you can run it for a week or so and then extrapolate based on what your actual exposure is - As Joy says the tools aren't entirely accurate - but the data from a campaign would be a data-based way to come up with a range of search volume for the area.

this is really the best way. adwords real ads.

but you can also use google trends, if you have another keyword where you know the exact volume, you can compare it using the google trends graph.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom