More threads by Orlando Sydney

Reaction score
Two competing local pack websites.

If website A gets 80% of their traffic from their local country or State Vs website B that gets 80% of their traffic from another country (for organic informational articles on their key topics)

Does website A rank in their local city better on their GBP profile all other things being equal.
Does A algorithmically become more relevant locally than B?

Anyone have experience or know of any case studies or have a comment / guestimate?
All guesses welcome.

Have I explained it or stuffed it.

I would assume website A would help a GBP get more visibility and traffic in maps than website B - even if website B gets more overall traffic. REALLY depends on what keywords you're looking at though - because the website will help influence map rankings for a GBP for mainly explicit keywords, AKA location specific keywords. Rankings for implicit keywords are largely determined by proximity of the business to the user at the time of the search, and are harder to influence by optimizing the website.

I assume website A ranks better organically for explicit keywords than website B, like if you're a dentist think "dentist New York City" - so therefor it should help the GBP rank better in maps for the same keywords.

I would assume website A would help a GBP get more visibility and traffic in maps than website B - even if website B gets more overall traffic. REALLY depends on what keywords you're looking at though - because the website will help influence map rankings for a GBP for mainly explicit keywords, AKA location specific keywords. Rankings for implicit keywords are largely determined by proximity of the business to the user at the time of the search, and are harder to influence by optimizing the website.

I assume website A ranks better organically for explicit keywords than website B, like if you're a dentist think "dentist New York City" - so therefor it should help the GBP rank better in maps for the same keywords.

Many thanks for your detailed comments Elizabeth. Apologies for my tardy reply.

I had thought that may have been the case but good to hear it from an expert.

Low and behold, some key words have been changed and looks to be confirming that you say in this instance.

The other part is that if a web site organic traffic goes up significantly, the hosting company, such as WP Engine want to triple the hosting fees, when they are already 600 coins. More traffic doesn't always equal more enquiries for local businesses that the increase in fees becomes a factor.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom