More threads by Christopher Labbate

Reaction score
I usually think of GMB rankings in 3 pillars:

1. Content ~ GMB will rank for keywords, that the main website targets (As its connected to the GMB itself.)
  2. Behavior Metrics ~ Clicks for Relevant Keywords: When a user searches for a term related to your business and clicks on your GBP, Google perceives it as a positive signal that your listing matches the user's intent.
  3. Authority or Links ~ As your links and backlink profile increase in authority, Google reads anchor text, and starts to rank your GMB accordingly.
Now, we all know that a properly tuned GMB profile, can also help in ranking in local maps, things like your:
  • GMB Title Tag
  • Business Description
  • Review Content
  • Main GMB Category and Secondaries
  • GMB Updates & Post Text

Are there any other places I should look, or anything that I missed?? Often I seen some things out here in the wild, that don't make much sense, where I think some type of CTR manipulation is in effect, or some other unforeseen forces... Just looking for expert opinions, and new ways of thinking in terms of adding extra keywords to the GMB insights.

I will reference another post by @JoyHawkins where the GMB was ranking for a dentist keyword, with no website.

Proximity to the searcher is one of the biggest factors. Your GMB title is also a large influence, if it happens to have kw's. The website itself is important, too. You mentioned content and back links, which are important, but they are just subsets of the overall strength of your website (in terms of traditional SEO).

The only way is to move your business closer to where your potential customer are. Not always practical, I know, but if it will bring enough business, it may be worth considering.

Merchant Center/Pointy product feed can definitely rank for product names in both general and shopping search. Manual products have been seen in Shopping too, though this is hard to trigger.

There's also menus for restaurant and other food services, which also have their dedicated justifications.

From my limited experience in the space, the Google Business Profile keywords that you rank for come from:
  • Keywords in your title
  • Keywords in your categories (primary category counts the strongest, secondary categories less)
  • Keywords in your services (they often pop up in the local map pack)
  • Review content of your customers (they often pop up in the local map pack too)
  • Keywords on your Google Business Profile landing page (the page you enter as your 'website')
  • Keywords on your service pages (a page for each service you offer helps Google better contextualize your services and therefor delivers them to more eyeballs more efficiently)

Did a ton of the Semrush certifications this week and this was in one of them, i.e. factors influencing local pack. (probably a bit dated) As to GMB keywords the only thing I could add to Thomas Eberts is... in company names (when legit). Wes McDowell actually has a segment on Semrush Academy about changing your business name to contain your primary keyword. (though he doesn't outright recommend it since there's no guarantee it will remain a factor in the future)

Local Ranking Factors Lesson 2_10 SEMrush Academy - YouTube - 0-4-12.jpeg

Did a ton of the Semrush certifications this week and this was in one of them, i.e. factors influencing local pack. (probably a bit dated) As to GMB keywords the only thing I could add to Thomas Eberts is... in company names (when legit). Wes McDowell actually has a segment on Semrush Academy about changing your business name to contain your primary keyword. (though he doesn't outright recommend it since there's no guarantee it will remain a factor in the future)

Local Ranking Factors Lesson 2_10 SEMrush Academy - YouTube - 0-4-12.jpeg

Pretty certain keywords in business title will remain relevant as long as the business name itself is relevant in search. The business name is Googles #1 to distinguish entities from each other, therefore the main qualifier for a search.

Putting your main keyword into your business name / the title of your GBP needs to be backupped by some documentation:
- register a DBA (doing business as)
- reflect DBA on business registration
- get a couple utility bills with DBA
- change your logo and update on website, social media, etc.

Thought I’d drop this in here!

Exactly! In the Semrush Academy video Wes speaks of all this, every consideration. But for Chris's question it is relevant because if you have clients like "Toronto Dental" or "Alberta Roofers" or whatever it is a factor, however big or small. Thanks for the knowledge Thomas, cheers.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Live Webinar - Local SEO Audits

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom