Local Marketing Summit banner  below header new
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Google Switching Phone Numbers in GMB Listing

A while back, I read here that the standard call tracking practice was to put your tracking number as the main number and your regular number as an additional phone number.

Today, I got emails from Google saying that they had flip-flopped the numbers on those listings. It said, "Recent updates have been made to your listing. Help us keep the information on Google Search and Maps as accurate as possible for everyone."

Has anyone else noticed this? Should we change them back? Or is Google no longer allowing tracking numbers to be entered into GMB like this? Thanks!

2. Local Marketing Summit banner in thread
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Google Switching Phone Numbers in GMB Listing

Hi!

I've not heard anything saying that this isn't ok anymore. It's most likely a general update.

I've seen many of the emails you're describing, and they come for all kinds of changes that Google makes to your listing, including office hours, business name, domain, wheelchair access, etc. The email is a call to action asking you to go in and accept or correct the updates (there is currently no "reject" option).

From what I can tell, sometimes it is Google making the updates, and sometimes it's a user suggesting edits to a listing. Either way, you should be able to go in and change things back to the way they were.

-Cherie

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

FWIW, I think it's Google making the changes (or one nefarious and organized competitor). I am responsible for multiple sites and received notifications for at least 3 this am that numbers have been changed. Still undecided about whether to flip them 'back' or leave Google edits....

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It's definitely Google making the change IMO. I had it happen to 1 client but the number they changed it to was not a secondary number in GMB. I had someone else just email me and say it happened to 10 of their clients.

I just changed mine back and put the new number in as a secondary since it was another local number that was legit for the business.
    Joy Hawkins
    Owner of Sterling Sky
    Author of The Expert's Guide to Local SEO [, a 260+ page training manual that is updated monthly and contains advanced tips and tactics for Local SEO that actually work and drive results.

6. Likes Linda Buquet liked this post
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Happened to a few of our clients as well. So what's the consensus? Tracking number as main, and "regular" number as secondary?

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Carleton - yep!
    Joy Hawkins
    Owner of Sterling Sky
    Author of The Expert's Guide to Local SEO [, a 260+ page training manual that is updated monthly and contains advanced tips and tactics for Local SEO that actually work and drive results.