Are we losing the Page Speed battle? And if so, who are the losers?

djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Google Losing Page Speed Battle - And Nobody Wins
by Roger Montti, Search Engine Journal
Nov 26, 2019

Google has been encouraging publishers to increase their web page speed for at least ten years. Google has created resources for helping publishers make their sites faster. Yet a comparison of year over year metrics shows that web pages are getting slower.

HTTPArchive data shows that the average first contentful paint for mobile at the beginning of 2019 was 6.3 seconds. It took an average of 6.3 seconds for a site visitor to see content while viewing in a mobile device.

By October 1st, 2019, the mobile experience was slower.

The average score for mobile went up by nearly two seconds to 8.0 seconds.

Did Mobile Internet Become Slower?
According to a report by Speedtest.net, a comparison of mobile Internet speed for the first two quarters of 2019 and the same period of 2018 shows that mobile Internet speed actually increased.
  • AT&T +45.1%
  • Verizon Wireless +9.5%
  • T-Mobile +9.4%
Did Mobile Websites Became Slower?
If the major mobile Internet service providers have increased speeds then that may indicate that mobile web pages became slower.

According to Google’s developer page, things like render blocking external stylesheets and scripts and other factors related to minizing file sizes can impact the First Contentful Paint metric.

This is what the developers page says: First Contentful Paint | Tools for Web Developers | Google Developers
  • “Minimize the number of render-blocking external stylesheets and scripts upon which the page depends. See Render-Blocking CSS and Loading Third-Party JavaScript.
  • Use HTTP Caching to speed up repeat visits.
  • Minify and compress text-based assets to speed up their download time. See Optimizing Encoding and Transfer Size of Text-Based Assets.
  • Optimize JavaScript bootup and reduce JavaScript payloads with tree shaking or code splitting. The goal is to do less JavaScript work on page load.”

The SEO community is aware of Page Speed, probably because it’s a (very small) ranking factor and because of the well known benefits such as increased revenue.

But for some reason, page speed keeps increasing. One would think that the carrot of higher conversions would be enough. But it’s not. The takeaway here is that there may be an opportunity to take advantage of slow competitor speeds by besting them with a faster website.

It may help increase sales and brand loyalty and all the rewards that come with that.

The takeaway is that while Google is losing the battle for increasing the speed of the Internet, it’s the web publishers who are losing the revenue war by not trying hard enough to focus on page speed.
Read more...

Conor Treacy

I think the big issue dragging sites right now is that they're designed as Responsive (which is what we've been encouraged to do). The problem I'm seeing is that so much bloat is added to a single CSS file to cover all the various screen sizes, then inline edits, then javascript/jquery and the rest of it slows it down that bit more.

I've recently been taking WordPress sites and saving a full copy as a static site. We can still use all the power of WordPress but it's static that's served to the user and is anywhere from 3-5 seconds faster as it's not querying the database to build sites etc.

The push for an all inclusive design I think has hurt overall speeds on mobile for many people. They just don't optimize images for mobile, or serve different images to mobile vs desktop and instead load a 2MB image for no real reason.

djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
That's true although there are ways to mitigate that. Still, no matter what you do, mobile speeds are always lower in my experience, sometimes considerably lower.

Mobile carriers may have increased maximum download speeds in the past three years but that is easily overridden by location (how far to the nearest cell tower? how may buildings or trees or hills are in the way of that tower?), traffic density (number of users hitting that tower), and even weather conditions and atmospherics.

Cherie Dickey

Local Search Expert
Devices themselves can play a part in this as well, I think. Software, available memory, etc can cause slower download speeds, even with the best connection... Some also connect better than others to the available network.

Not everyone can afford to fork out the $$ for a new phone every year. I personally refuse to, and when I do buy a new one, it's usually the best "budget" phone I can find. I also live in a rural area with all the network issues that brings.

I think in building a site, there is kindof a tightrope to walk for mobile. There needs to be a balance between building it for people who are used to having the best (better devices, better network speeds), and so expect a more robust experience, and building for people who (for whatever reason) have more challenges.

It's been a long time since I've built a site, and I do not envy developers.

djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Now with 5g mobile internet the game will be on mobileside
First, 5G needs to be made available and affordable in your area (it isn't in Canada yet and I don't think it is in the US).

Second, you need to make affordable mobile devices capable of 5G that will convince consumers to upgrade.

I think we have a while yet before this is a reality we have to deal with. There are still a sizeable number of active mobile devices with a top speed of 3G.

Wirenut

The Google Test My Site page is saying that my site is slow, it takes 6.1 seconds. I understand that this isn't optimal, but I also think that if someone is looking for a contractor and decided to click on my result to go to my website, that they will follow thru even if it takes a few seconds to load.

My main concern is if Google is putting me further down the listings due to the speed being slow.

Wirenut

What platform do you use on your website? If I recall, is it Joomla or Drupal?
Joomla. Biggest mistake ever. I wish I used Wordpress.

But at this point, since it is only a small website, I wish I could just change it to HTML pages like it originally was before I wanted to get all fancy lol.

djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Maybe you could convert it to WordPress? I recently wrote a blog post about my own research and conclusions regarding how to significantly speed up WordPress sites... made a big difference for my sites.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...

Local University Guide

Google Product Exert