More threads by PromoBryce

PromoBryce

Reaction score
TL;DR: The company I work for has 3 segments to it's local business that would work for different Google Business Categories, but the website is pigeon holed by 3rd party propriety e-commerce software that only covers 1 category. The 2 other segments don't have a shot at ranking in their categories due to lack of website capabilities. Could we create GBP's & separate landing pages for the other segments if they would have the same address and phone numbers? If not, what are some realistic options to rank in the other segments?

THE FULL STORY: I am relatively new to the company I work for. I have background in social media marketing but am taking the initiative to learn SEO for our website/business.

We are a local business that has 3 primary segments - Trophy Shop, Promotional Product Supplier, Sign Shop. The company originally started as a Trophy Shop and has used the same 3rd party propriety e-commerce software that most of it's industry and local competitors use for their websites since the dawn of the internet.

I have been working on a redesign of the website and have been deliberating the SEO strategy for weeks now. My plan thus far has been to put a landing page in front of the current website that will link back to the e-commerce Trophy Shop. The new landing page would also include 3 service pages that explain each business segment and provide a place to utilize keywords.

The long term goal is to grow the business in the promotional product niche as it is a much bigger industry. We would like to be able to have an ecommerce store for that as well but the challenge is having everything in one place. The current ecommerce site for the Trophy House is very limited in customizability but is the only realistic option at the moment with the unrealistic costs of having a custom 1,000+ product e-commerce site built.

I would like to segment out the promotional product side of the business (and less importantly the sign shop) so it can be found in local search as there is no current forward facing site. Herein lies the topic in question, "Is it possible to have multiple GBP's for segments of your business?" - or - Are there better alternatives to rank locally in each segment given the parameters of the current situation?

Solution
Short answer: google only "allows" this if the subunits have at least separate phone numbers.

Long answer: The guidelines do not technically allow it unless these subunits are formally registered as separate businesses. In practice the algorithm has a hard time spotting it if the phone numbers are different. You still run the risk of suspensions and issues with ranking because of reviews not going to the subunits, though. Video validation of several closely-related businesses at the same address can also be a serious challenge.
Short answer: google only "allows" this if the subunits have at least separate phone numbers.

Long answer: The guidelines do not technically allow it unless these subunits are formally registered as separate businesses. In practice the algorithm has a hard time spotting it if the phone numbers are different. You still run the risk of suspensions and issues with ranking because of reviews not going to the subunits, though. Video validation of several closely-related businesses at the same address can also be a serious challenge.

Solution

Thank you for the response! Our subunits are currently one business entity and share one phone number. Looks like I'll need to get more creative here.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom