More threads by JoyHawkins

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Google announced earlier this week that they were releasing a core algorithm update.

We are seeing that it's impacting the local results as well as organic. For example, here is one keyword I was tracking where the client had a significant lift in ranking in the local results.
1569613063212.png

When I looked at the before & after screenshots in Bright Local, the viewpoint on the map had really zoomed out after this update.

What are you guys seeing thusfar?

At the moment in Colombia we haven't had any major changes, where I did see them was with clients from Madrid.

For the most part, each of our SAB type clients have seen an increase in keyword positions. Some of our ecommerce clients, with crazy numbers of keywords have seen an increase in overall position, however not seeing much boost (yet) with the number of visits. They're really deep keywords, so I'm not surprised they're not getting a traffic result, but it should help boost other phrases on their pages.

I haven't seen any of our clients negatively impacted by the update as of yet.

September 2019 Google Update - Winners and Losers
by Roger Montti, Search Engine Journal
Sept 29, 2019

Black Hat World forum had more members reporting losses.

black-hat.png

What stood out among the publishers who reported losses is how many attributed it to links.

A broad core algorithm update focuses on a wide range of changes. In general the updates work together to improve relevance. Although there were many discussing links, links are likely one part of many changes. Links may simply be the factor that happens to be the one that stands out.

That said, a week before the algorithm rolled out I was made aware of link based spam network that had collapsed. This involved 301 redirecting expired domains to a website. The link based spam network had been ranking for six months and on Saturday September 21st they were gone.

That ranking demotion happened a few days before the algorithm was announced. What makes that interesting is that members of the Proper PBN Facebook Group that focuses on aggressive SEO tactics noted a downturn in site employing the 301 redirect trick.

Read more...

Not sure if this is related, but I've seen the map expanded way out as well.. to the point where it seems more like a glitch and would cause certain locations to spike in visibility. I had to double check that google knew I was located in Bend, Oregon since it was showing me east coast results for a "near me" query.

2019-09-26_12-59-47.jpg

Wow. So here's what I get for that (in Virginia at the moment). Are there a lot of retailers that carry this brand in each city?

Screenshot_20191001-165411.jpg

I think their products are only available at Pottery Barn and Mattress Firm. They aren't a client of mine, basically found this by accident.

For the most part, each of our SAB type clients have seen an increase in keyword positions. Some of our ecommerce clients, with crazy numbers of keywords have seen an increase in overall position, however not seeing much boost (yet) with the number of visits. They're really deep keywords, so I'm not surprised they're not getting a traffic result, but it should help boost other phrases on their pages.

I haven't seen any of our clients negatively impacted by the update as of yet.
Conor, I too, have had clients that have been getting traffic and leads from pages that haven't ranked organically for well over 12 months. Long-tail phrases. Haven't yet noticed a similar boost in local rankings--kind of holding their own.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom