More threads by mfish

mfish

Reaction score
I'm a mortgage loan officer in Pennsylvania. I do have my local PA addresses listed in the footer of my website on every page and that's the address that's verified in my GBP. My website is on my own domain, separate from my company's corporate domain. I'm also working with Brightlocal to update my other citations in other directories to point to this local PA address as well.

The company I work for is located in AZ and for compliance purposes I do have to included their cooperate address in a disclaimer on every page of my website.

Will having the AZ address on my site hurt my local SEO efforts and "confuse" Google?

If it will, I don't want to do anything black hat, but is there any legitimate way to exclude Google from indexing just the corporate address portion on my site without being penalized? I thought about embedding the disclaimer text in an image but pretty sure Google has OCR that can extract this text: - https://cognitiveseo.com/blog/5909/did-google-read-text-image-can-affect-my-rankings/#:~:text=Yes!&text=Yes%2C%20Google%20can%20read%20embedded,it's%20doing%20it%20very%20well

Looks like there are some creative ways to do this, but the following info is dated and several of the comments state that this sort of "cloaking" is against Google's rules and best practices and could lead me to being penalized. See: Prevent search engines from indexing specific images on a page and Preventing robots from crawling specific part of a page

Thanks!

Solution
If the rest of your site is optimize for Pennsylvania you should be ok, especially if you explain in the footer that is it is the corporate address and you link to their website. But if you want to be safe, I think having the AZ address in an image is not a bad idea to "hide it" from Google bots. Yes Google will crawl and read the alt text for the image, and it will see the image, but overall it would help minimize Google crawling any AZ address on every page of your site. You can also look into putting the AZ address in some sort of javascript/iFrame situation that you can put a no-crawl tag on it so Google hopefully won't crawl. Though even with such a tag, if its on every page of the site, Google might crawl it still.
If the rest of your site is optimize for Pennsylvania you should be ok, especially if you explain in the footer that is it is the corporate address and you link to their website. But if you want to be safe, I think having the AZ address in an image is not a bad idea to "hide it" from Google bots. Yes Google will crawl and read the alt text for the image, and it will see the image, but overall it would help minimize Google crawling any AZ address on every page of your site. You can also look into putting the AZ address in some sort of javascript/iFrame situation that you can put a no-crawl tag on it so Google hopefully won't crawl. Though even with such a tag, if its on every page of the site, Google might crawl it still.

Solution

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Live Webinar - Local SEO Audits

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom