- Jul 18, 2012
I was doing some research for a client who was trying to decide between an exact-match domain and a branded domain and came across this really useful study. It's from the end of 2014 but I would say it's still accurate (not that much has changed from a year and a half ago). The study had some pretty compelling arguments for keyword-rich domains.
- Keyword domains rank on average 11% higher than brandable domains
- Brandable domains needed an average of 40,000 more links to hit #1, and 35,000 more links to reach the Top 10
- Brandable domains needed 69% higher Domain Authority and 22% higher Page Authority to rank in the Top 10
- Keyword domains were able to hit #1 with half as much content, and only using the keyword half as frequently
- Looking at all Ranking Factors, it?s clear that keyword domains rank more easily due to higher Website Relevancy and Website Ext Relevancy scores