More threads by WillowRose

WillowRose

Reaction score
Hello There,

While setting up search grid tracking in Bright Local for some home service clients, I am looking for opinions on how many data points to track (5x5 or 7x7) and how far away I should be tracking them, as they are serviced-based businesses that typically service ~60 miles away from their office locations.

Advice is welcome and appreciated!

I wrote about this for Search Engine Land :) Local SEO success: How to track rankings, conversions, calls

Basically you want to set the radius far enough out that you are not seeing ALL green pins, you want to be able to see where rankings drop off, and determine if you can keep pushing these boundaries to rank farther away from your location. 60 miles might be a bit far to rank for a single SAB listing, so set up a test report for 1 keyword set to 10, 20 and/or 30 miles and see how well you rank at the edges of those ranking grids before you run reports for ALL your keywords.

I typically use a 7x7 grid, I think 5x5 would be ok for a small service area, but likely too much space between pins for a larger service area.

I wrote about this for Search Engine Land :) Local SEO success: How to track rankings, conversions, calls

Basically you want to set the radius far enough out that you are not seeing ALL green pins, you want to be able to see where rankings drop off, and determine if you can keep pushing these boundaries to rank farther away from your location. 60 miles might be a bit far to rank for a single SAB listing, so set up a test report for 1 keyword set to 10, 20 and/or 30 miles and see how well you rank at the edges of those ranking grids before you run reports for ALL your keywords.

I typically use a 7x7 grid, I think 5x5 would be ok for a small service area, but likely too much space between pins for a larger service area.

Thank you for this! Incredibly helpful. :)

Whoa—that’s a fantastic article. I’ve been begging our SEO service providers for this level of comprehensive nuance since I first interviewed them over two years ago, and am frustrated they haven’t risen to the challenge.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom