Merge or remove a business?

Larry

I need some advice on how to merge two businesses or have an old listing removed.

My client is a dentist located in Ajax, Ontario. I am trying to get them to rank in the local map pack results.

Their listing is claimed and I am listed as the Primary Owner.

They purchased the dental practice for a previous owner in 2017. The previous owner has a listing with a different Name, but the same address and phone number.

I have marked the old listing as duplicate several times but it does not get removed. I have been corrected the names of several SPAM listings which seem to get published very quickly but I cannot get Google to remove this listing.

I have been able to claim the previous listing and so I am listed as the Primary Owner of both listings.

I see an option in the GMB dashboard to delete the listing, but I understand that this will only remove the listing from my account, and will not remove it from Google Maps, or the search results.

How can I merge the listings or delete the old listing?

Thank you for your assistance.

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
Hi James,

You won't be able to delete the old listing because it did exist at some point. You can only delete listings that never existed or that are supposed to be private.

There are three possible solutions to your scenario.

1)Mark the old listing as closed
2)Ask Google to merge
3)Ask Google to "Move" the old listing into the new one

I would start by contacting GMB support and asking them to move the old listing into the new one. Explain that if you mark it as closed it will be a bad user experience because you want the old patients to know that there is a new office here and that it's not just a closed dentist at the address.

Larry

Hi James,

You won't be able to delete the old listing because it did exist at some point. You can only delete listings that never existed or that are supposed to be private.

2)Ask Google to merge

I would start by contacting GMB support and asking them to move the old listing into the new one. Explain that if you mark it as closed it will be a bad user experience because you want the old patients to know that there is a new office here and that it's not just a closed dentist at the address.
Thanks for your advice Colan. Much appreciated.

Larry

Hi James,

2)Ask Google to merge

Success! I contacted Google Support via this link. Google returned my call almost immediately. I only had to wait 2 minutes and was connected with a very helpful support representative who had me mark the old business as closed and then had me remove the listing from my GMB Dashboard. He then immediately removed the business from the Map Pak and it shows up.

Thanks again Colan.

Thanks for your advice Colan. Much appreciated.

Trending: Most Viewed

Local Search Forum

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Google Product Exert

@LocalSearchLink

Join Our Facebook Group