More threads by Timur

Timur

Reaction score
Hello,

my business is within the city, but almost on the edge of it, away from the city name on Google Maps. So, as a result, the business ranks pretty high for the surroundings and in the neighboring cities that are close to the business location. However, the primary purpose is to rank high for the whole city the business is working in. Is that possible? If so, what do I need to be focused on?

The GBP landing page is the city page. The phone number is local.

Last edited:
Hi Timur,

However, the primary purpose is to rank high for the whole city the business is working in. Is that possible? If so, what do I need to be focused on?

It depends on how big the city is and how competitive the industry is in that city. For instance, a personal injury firm in Houston will most likely never rank in all the zip codes.

Check this study out - How Proximity Affects Rankings in Local Search Results in 2023

Thank you for contributing, @Colan Nielsen !

Well, it appeared to be doable in my case. See the pictures attached. The so-so rankings are mine (actually it`s only for "appliance repair Irvine", the "appliance repair" search is way better), and good rankings is my competitor. He just showed up and I wasn't aware of him before.

I wonder why is that, if he has fewer photos, no videos, fewer reviews (and half of them are fake), no products, no website except for the google business page, and a very peculiar business name with the appliance manufacturer brand name on it.

Appliance-repairIrvine-LG.jpg

Appliance-repairIrvine-My.jpg

I wonder why is that, if he has fewer photos, no videos, fewer reviews (and half of them are fake), no products, no website except for the google business page, and a very peculiar business name with the appliance manufacturer brand name on it.
It could be several factors. They may have some awesome backlinks which gives them a higher level of prominence in Google's eyes. Could be where they are located. If they are closer to the city center, for instance...that would be to their benefit.

Hi @Colan Nielsen, thank you for participating!

Brightlocal shows a ridiculous number of backlinks for these guys. How it`s even possible? Is it an error?
And how do people get links if they don`t even have a website, except for the Google business site?

links.jpg

Hi @Colan Nielsen, thank you for participating!

Brightlocal shows a ridiculous number of backlinks for these guys. How it`s even possible? Is it an error?
And how do people get links if they don`t even have a website, except for the Google business site?

links.jpg

Hey Timur - thanks for picking up on this. My team have clarified that this number is shown when the number of backlinks exceeds the number that is stored. So we display this number when that happens. The link count data is provided by Moz.

Saying that, we'd love to look into things and find out a little more about those GBPs displaying that number of links. Would you be able to share the links to these GBPs? Thanks!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Live Webinar - Local SEO Audits

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom