More threads by Medicareexpert

Reaction score
Hi:

I've been using Hostgator for about 5 years to host my website. I've always used the WP Optimized hosting package which didn't allow me to access their C-Panel to manage my website and domain. A couple of months ago, I spoke with one of their sale people who suggested I switch to their better Baby Plan which would allow me to access the C-Panel on their website. I paid for the Baby Plan the end of July and yesterday was also billed for the original WP Optimized package. I called them to cancel that package and 15 minutes later my website was removed from the internet. When I called them, I spoke to a "technical support" person who told me this happened because my Google Domain name servers were not pointing to Hostgator and I needed to contact Google to fix it. This explananation made no sense to me since I've had the Domain for years. She also said all my files were removed and I couldn't get them back. None of this made any sens, so I called back and spoke to another "technical support" person and was told a totally different explanation,. This person said that the reason my website was removed is because my files weren't transferred from the old hosting package to a new hosting package. However, she said they had my back-up and they could be restored if I signed an agreement that I would pay $50. She also said it would take 2-3 days. I signed the agreement but in protest, because I was never told by the person who sold me the new package that the files need to be moved from the previous hosting package to the new one, nor did the person who canceled the charge on the previous hosting package yesterday mention anything about my needing to move my files. The whole thing sound very fishy. Has anyone heard of this situation? If I switch to another hosting company, I will certainly lose all my files, right?

Attachments

• sign off on restoring files.pdf
    493.1 KB · Views: 190
Not sure about the DNS change, or how that occurred and it definitely sounds fishy that your website files would be totally removed/deleted with a server upgrade.

I have never heard of this situation - a hosting provider pushing for an upgrade, then deleting site files.

I have heard of them asking for an upgrade to restore a backup if your account didn't have the space or permissions.

If you move to another hosting company you would lose all of your HG files whenever you cancel that account - so purchase hosting elsewhere first, make sure your new company can upload the backup files you provide (or they can connect to your HG account via SFTP to download your backup/site files), then cancel HG.

Sounds like a confusing weird situation, make sure you setup some type of automated backup with your new hosting provider.

Not sure about the DNS change, or how that occurred and it definitely sounds fishy that your website files would be totally removed/deleted with a server upgrade.

I have never heard of this situation - a hosting provider pushing for an upgrade, then deleting site files.

I have heard of them asking for an upgrade to restore a backup if your account didn't have the space or permissions.

If you move to another hosting company you would lose all of your HG files whenever you cancel that account - so purchase hosting elsewhere first, make sure your new company can upload the backup files you provide (or they can connect to your HG account via SFTP to download your backup/site files), then cancel HG.

Sounds like a confusing weird situation, make sure you setup some type of automated backup with your new hosting provider.

Hi Chris:
I was able to get the issue with my lost files fixed at Hostgator after speaking with another customer service agent. The first agent told me my files were gone because I switched to a lower cost hosting plan (10 minutes after they disappeared?), so I called back and the next agent told me they could be restored but I would have to pay $50 and sign an agreement, but that I could dispute the charge. I signed the agreement and wrote that I was disputing the charge. Hostgator restored the files the next day, didn't mention the $50 charge again and I signed up for the automated backup plan. Thanks for your input.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom