More threads by New2SEO

New2SEO

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - I came across this forum and glad that I found it so hello! I'm looking for help because I am feeling a bit defeated and I'm not sure where to go from here. I'll share some background for context:

Background:
Fairly new Accounting and CPA business. I created my google business profile 4 months ago. I started out virtually (Service Based), but was basically unsearchable because of other physical presence based Accounting businesses. Last month I got a physical location in a busy area within the city I want to rank for. The only thing is that it is a multi-tenant building so our address are basically the same, separated by a "Suite Number", which I found out later maybe I get impacted by the "Possum" update? There are other CPA's in the building.

Issue:
- I'm showing up on page 3 of the local search results (Map Pack), which I think its non-existent

What I have done so far:
- Focus on getting reviews, which I have more than most of my competitors (and the ones in the same building as mine, the person ranking 1 has no reviews)
- Add photos (more than my competitors)
- Play around with Google Categories (Primary - Accounting Addnt'l: Certified Public Accountant, Bookkeeping Service, Tax Preparation Service)
- Google Posts (starting to post regularly)
- Optimize my Website for keywords to rank locally.

Actively working on:
- Getting Backlinks to build authority (only 3 DOFOLLOW links right now, 2 show on AHREFS with one having 89 DR and the other 41 DR)

What do you think I'm missing? Let me know if you think I should provide more detail here like the website, google profile. I'm open to all the critical feedback so feel free to let loose!

Thanks for reading

Solution
I may have found your issue, you said "- Focus on getting reviews, which I have more than most of my competitors (and the ones in the same building as mine, the person ranking 1 has no reviews)"

Well, if you have a competitor in your building in the same industry, using the same main category, you are going to run into issues with Google's Local Filter. Depending on the situation, you may have to move offices to rank better. I can't say for sure though unless you send me your listing.

Resources to learn more about Google's local filter:
- Is Your Google My Business Listing Getting Filtered? - Sterling Sky Inc
- Is Google filtering your business in the local search results?
I may have found your issue, you said "- Focus on getting reviews, which I have more than most of my competitors (and the ones in the same building as mine, the person ranking 1 has no reviews)"

Well, if you have a competitor in your building in the same industry, using the same main category, you are going to run into issues with Google's Local Filter. Depending on the situation, you may have to move offices to rank better. I can't say for sure though unless you send me your listing.

Solution

Here's my site and my google listing. I appreciate you responding

www.pinnaclepointgroup.com

Hi Chris thanks for the reply. The 5700? I added it to copy my top competitor. Is that something I should remove?

I think it is a valid zip code.

How long has your listing been up now?

Also, I would suggest updating your Google listing name to match what is on your website:

Alvaro Garcia, CPA PinnaclePoint Group Accounting, Tax, & Advisory

This will also give you some extra keyword juice for Google searches.

Your website is also very weak and currently only has 2 referring domains. I would focus on building that up first and then the Google listing results should come.

I'm no expert - just thought it was odd that the zip wasn't an exact match for the addr on the website. (disclaimer: also not in the US so unfamiliar with US convention)

Here's my site and my google listing. I appreciate you responding

www.pinnaclepointgroup.com

Thanks for sharing! It is like I suspected, you have 2 other accountants in the same building. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do in those case to "fix" the filter issue except move offices to a new location that does not have any accountants in the building or within 200ft.

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 10.28.38 AM.jpg

Thanks for sharing! It is like I suspected, you have 2 other accountants in the same building. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do in those case to "fix" the filter issue except move offices to a new location that does not have any accountants in the building or within 200ft.

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 10.28.38 AM.jpg

Thanks for the feedback Elizabeth. What about improving DA? I saw through my analysis that they only have a DA that I think I can compete with. Any idea if I increase DA I would favor over the other 2? What about shifting my categories? Does google favor “I was here first”?

Thanks for the help so far I appreciate it

How long has your listing been up now?

Also, I would suggest updating your Google listing name to match what is on your website:

Alvaro Garcia, CPA PinnaclePoint Group Accounting, Tax, & Advisory

This will also give you some extra keyword juice for Google searches.

Your website is also very weak and currently only has 2 referring domains. I would focus on building that up first and then the Google listing results should come.

Hi Brian - Thanks for responding

My google listing was made in March 2023

I recently changed it to "Alvaro Garcia, CPA - PinnaclePoint Group" because when I would try and register some citations, the name was too long. Should I just change my website to show my google business profile name then?

For Referring Domains, where do you recommend I can search for some? I had paid for guest post, but only 1 of the 3 domains were showing up when I check.

The weird thing that I don't understand is that both my competitors and I are on a few directory pages, and they get a backlink and I don't. I'm not sure why that is.

Appreciate you.

Backlinks aren't a significant ranking factor when it comes to the local map pack.

Here's the top ranking factors that experienced local seo people agree on https://whitespark.ca/local-search-ranking-factors#pack-finder

Another thing you can do is get more than 10 reviews. Google will give your business a bump at the 10 review mark.
What keywords are you searching for the local map pack? "CPA near me" "stockton CPA" "Stockton accountant" "accountant near me"?

But like others have said, it's very likely you're getting filtered because there are multiple other people in the same category as you in the same building - Is Your Google My Business Listing Getting Filtered? - Sterling Sky Inc

Backlinks aren't a significant ranking factor when it comes to the local map pack.

Here's the top ranking factors that experienced local seo people agree on https://whitespark.ca/local-search-ranking-factors#pack-finder

Another thing you can do is get more than 10 reviews. Google will give your business a bump at the 10 review mark.
What keywords are you searching for the local map pack? "CPA near me" "stockton CPA" "Stockton accountant" "accountant near me"?

But like others have said, it's very likely you're getting filtered because there are multiple other people in the same category as you in the same building - Is Your Google My Business Listing Getting Filtered? - Sterling Sky Inc

Hi, thanks for responding. Yep those are the keywords I’m targeting.

In regards to the local map pack ranking, Does that mean the only solution is to move to another office location?

Quality links to your website will definitely help, but that is far from the only factor. And paying for guest posting may not be "quality". You might want to consider hiring a pro if you're serious about it.

On the other hand, changing your office location would be a definite benefit, assuming you can find a location that is more seo friendly. See this recent article for help: Choose Your Next Business Location with Local SEO - BrightLocal

One significant ranking factor is the age of your google listing. If you're competitors have been there a few years, finding yourself a new office may be your best bet.

Thanks for the feedback Elizabeth. What about improving DA? I saw through my analysis that they only have a DA that I think I can compete with. Any idea if I increase DA I would favor over the other 2? What about shifting my categories? Does google favor “I was here first”?

Thanks for the help so far I appreciate it

I agree with @bdlowery in that I have never seen a significant impact on local map pack rankings from backlinks. So improving your backlink profile likely won't help. If anyone has any examples otherwise I would love to read about them!

Funny enough, @JoyHawkins is going to be talking about this exact topic at Local U Toronto in October - her presentation is "Does Link Building Actually Influence Local Pack Rankings?" - get tickets here! LocalU Advanced Toronto (Blue Mountain) - Ontario - October 13, 2023

Shifting your category sounds like the best way to try and beat the local filter in this case - however be mindful that the primary category you chose is one of the most impactful ranking factors - so if there is no "next best" category to chose in your industry, I would hesitate to change it How to Choose the Best Category for Your Google Business Profile - Sterling Sky Inc

Google doesn't necessarily favor any one listing over another when it comes to the filter, but yes the age and authority of a profile are ranking factors. So in theory if you improve your onsite SEO and maintain a well optimized profile (with great reviews) you can beat them out more often than you are right now, but the filter will still prevent you from showing sometimes.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom