More threads by larryk

larryk

Reaction score
So my client completed the video verification and the GPB went to "pending"... it seems all good. We wait.

Well, today, we see and what it appears is nothing actually happened. It is like we need to start over. Is this true?
So after looking on this site, it seems many people have done a video verification many times and still nothing.

I'm pretty sure, my client isn't going to do it again. What to do?
Surely telling my client... just keep doing it until it works... isn't the solution?

any thoughts?
THANK YOU!

Solution
We've had clients tell us that Google Business video verification is not working. Google's added some helpful info in their support article. You definitely want to plan ahead before doing it, keep the video short, and know that what you need to show depends on whether it's a service area business (SAB) or a GBP with a visible address.

For example, Google Business documentation says the video needs to meet these requirements:
  • Unedited, unique, and one continuous recording without breaks.
  • Show the location of your business. Capture the official street and number signs, nearby businesses, or the area around your business that shows your business is at the correct Google Maps location.
  • For businesses with a physical...
I recommend you keep trying until it works, or it gives you an error. If you get an technical error you on contact Google support and ask them to help solve the issue. You can contact support right away, but they will probably just tell you to complete the video verification prompts until it works. I have heard reports of people having to do the video a fee times before it works, do don't give up!

thanks, so just do the exact same thing... over and over, until it works? OR do people change something... meaning, you are doing something wrong, but you have no idea until it magically works one time?

:)

Be sure that the video is within the 2 minute limit suggested by Google and to be sure that size is not an issue either record on the lowest quality or use an older phone. Also be sure that you include everything they say they need to be approved (incase there is some AI eval going on).

But so far we have not found any magic bullets to get through other than by the brute force, try multiple times method. Although I have heard that you might be able to reach out to support and request manual verification after a few attempts.

Be sure that the video is within the 2 minute limit suggested by Google and to be sure that size is not an issue either record on the lowest quality or use an older phone. Also be sure that you include everything they say they need to be approved (incase there is some AI eval going on).

But so far we have not found any magic bullets to get through other than by the brute force, try multiple times method. Although I have heard that you might be able to reach out to support and request manual verification after a few attempts.

I just had a realization... Probably dumb of me, could it be that just as with the GBP video upload length has very little impact on actual success and contrary to the official guidelines size is WAY more crucial? As far as I can tell, there is no official language in any guideline that mentions video length, much less file size, which would compound the problem.

(but I don't do verification at my agency so I've never walked through it and there may be explicit language to that effect not shown in the screencaps I see online).

It does say that during the actual process

From where I sit the problem could be one of the following things
Length - easy enough to deal with. Make it short and sweet
Not having the correct content - easy enough to deal with, give em what they want and assume that AI is checking the content
Google having very, very low trust - this is harder but not impossible- do citation campaign first
Heavy usage of the pipeline causes failure - rinse and repeat
A bug - par for the course and if all else is done then this is the remaining option

1689277250089.jpg

Last edited:
It does say that during the actual process

From where I sit the problem could be one of the following things
Length - easy enough to deal with. Make it short and sweet
Not having the correct content - easy enough to deal with, give em what they want and assume that AI is checking the content
Google having very, very low trust - this is harder but not impossible- do citation campaign first
Heavy usage of the pipeline causes failure - rinse and repeat
A bug - par for the course and if all else is done then this is the remaining option

Thank. I figured if it was stated somewhere, it'd be there. I just couldn't check myself.

We've had clients tell us that Google Business video verification is not working. Google's added some helpful info in their support article. You definitely want to plan ahead before doing it, keep the video short, and know that what you need to show depends on whether it's a service area business (SAB) or a GBP with a visible address.

For example, Google Business documentation says the video needs to meet these requirements:
  • Unedited, unique, and one continuous recording without breaks.
  • Show the location of your business. Capture the official street and number signs, nearby businesses, or the area around your business that shows your business is at the correct Google Maps location.
  • For businesses with a physical location, show evidence that your business exists. Capture the storefront, showroom, or business signage.
  • For service providers, record equipment or other items related to your business. Capture the products for sale, branded equipment, marketing materials, or tools you use to serve your customers.
  • Demonstrate proof of management. You can show that you’re authorized to represent your business by recording employee-only items or areas. Record yourself opening a cash register, accessing a point-of-sale system, unlocking the staff room, kitchen, or storage room.

Other resources to check out if your GMB video verification isn't working:​

This post/video from @Colan Nielsen on GBP video verification:

This video from Darren Shaw @whitespark with a step-by-step walkthrough when GBP video verification didn't work the first time:

Solution

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom