More threads by Matt Chauhan

Matt Chauhan

Reaction score
We have a client who is an electrician in South Carolina. They have a GBP in Taylors, SC, and they are doing very fine with the local rankings and performance. Now, they want to open up a new electric company, and they want us to use the same business address for the new company with a suite number added to it. The name and the phone number of the new company will be different from the old one. As the new company will be sharing the same business category in GBP, i.e., Electrician, are there any chances of one of the GBPs being filtered out by Google in local packs?

P.S. In South Carolina, the requirements for obtaining a Mechanical Contractor License state that if an owner wishes to acquire two licenses, the parameter they must fulfill is that the businesses need to share the same address.

Solution
Are you sure? I'd say as long as the website, name and phone number are different the GBP should be fine. I mean if there is a chance to get the existing one suspended or marked as duplicate with entirely different new companies and their locations, that's a freebie for people to suspend other businesses, don't you think?

I have experienced this issue a few times. The GBPs had different names, suites, websites, and phone numbers and had the same category. The main business was in-patient care, and the second profile was outpatient care. We dealt with several suspensions. For the OP to create and verify a new GBP, they will need to perform a video verification which is getting harder to pass. I suspect that this is the...
Don’t even attempt this. They will get one profile marked as either a duplicate or get suspended.

Are you sure? I'd say as long as the website, name and phone number are different the GBP should be fine. I mean if there is a chance to get the existing one suspended or marked as duplicate with entirely different new companies and their locations, that's a freebie for people to suspend other businesses, don't you think?

I have experienced this issue a few times. The GBPs had different names, suites, websites, and phone numbers and had the same category. The main business was in-patient care, and the second profile was outpatient care. We dealt with several suspensions. For the OP to create and verify a new GBP, they will need to perform a video verification which is getting harder to pass. I suspect that this is the reason for the tighter scrutiny.

Solution
If there are two businesses in the same category at the same address, one of them will be prioritized while the other gets filtered out / de-prioritized. This happens quite often with virtual offices. While you could do some optimization and ranking work to compete, the easier path is to use a different address if at all possible.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Live Webinar - Local SEO Audits

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom