More threads by JeffClevelandTN

Solutions
Reaction score
Has anybody else recently received an email from Google Ads regarding Customer Match suspension? See attached and below. BTW, none of our accounts have been suspended (yet) and the link in the email to appeal is pretty much useless as we don't actually know what we'd be appealing as the accounts that we received the notification, don't currently use Customer Match and to our knowledge, never have.

Also, after a chat with Ads support, they were likewise confused as these are medical industry clients and if we had been using Customer Match, it would have resulted in a violation years ago due to privacy concerns (e.g. hipaa). The only thing we can think of (which is a stretch) is that we have active pmax campaigns, which are tied to the client GBPs. Maybe pmax's AI is triggering the adwords AI, by using customer information? Again, this is a stretch as pmax is supposed to be using anonymized data, but Google doesn't always do "anonymous" very well. We have had a couple chats with Ad support and they just said it was a blanket email, nothing to be worried about. However, we manage dozens of Ad Accounts and only a handful have received this email.

Would appreciate feedback from that others have received a similar email and any thoughts you can share. Thanks!
Google Ads email.jpg

Hi Jeff, to be honest I ignore them as they're usually from healthcare accounts where it's not eligible anyway - as you mentioned. If they're not healthcare accounts - or other various, numerous categories like finance, relationships, crime, violence or any other sensitive category that may require user-behavior or interest data to target - it's usually flagged in the Audience manager in Ads with the specific issue. I usually review the Data collection and modification settings in GA4, along with data segments and audiences in Ads.

If the site doesn't meet the Customer Match policy requirements, you can only use customer lists in the “Observation” setting and for Exclusions.

There's always an auto-created data segment - All visitors (Google Analytics), that can't be removed. This is usually from an old remarketing list, when that was possible.

But there could be a bunch of other ineligible audiences - scroll depth, returning users...etc. that can be flagged/removed.

I haven't checked with support (I'm cynical 😁) about the segment that can't be removed, but let us know if you find out a more helpful, definitive answer. I'll go ask them for an official answer too.

Hi Jeff, to be honest I ignore them as they're usually from healthcare accounts where it's not eligible anyway - as you mentioned. If they're not healthcare accounts - or other various, numerous categories like finance, relationships, crime, violence or any other sensitive category that may require user-behavior or interest data to target - it's usually flagged in the Audience manager in Ads with the specific issue. I usually review the Data collection and modification settings in GA4, along with data segments and audiences in Ads.

If the site doesn't meet the Customer Match policy requirements, you can only use customer lists in the “Observation” setting and for Exclusions.

There's always an auto-created data segment - All visitors (Google Analytics), that can't be removed. This is usually from an old remarketing list, when that was possible.

But there could be a bunch of other ineligible audiences - scroll depth, returning users...etc. that can be flagged/removed.

I haven't checked with support (I'm cynical 😁) about the segment that can't be removed, but let us know if you find out a more helpful, definitive answer. I'll go ask them for an official answer too.

Thanks Chris!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom