More threads by Lanerizz

Lanerizz

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've had back to back situations now where a client grants me access to their GMB, and because I'm excited to make improvements, I immediately make some changes. It then immediately suspends the listing.

Is this something you guys see a lot and are there any best practices to avoiding this? It's a huge hassle and not exactly the way I like to start my client relationships. Any advice is appreciated.

Yep, definitely. I have a section about this in my training that advises people not to make multiple edits to a listing's core information. Doing so can trigger a suspension. Space them out over several weeks.

To add to what Joy is saying, you can space edits to non-core items (Q&A, description opening date etc..) when you get access. However, I suggest waiting until one edit is published before moving onto another one. Usually about 60 seconds.

Sheesh! So if I want to go in and add five additional categories, is that enough to trigger a suspension? If it's safer, I can just ask the owner to do it.

Hey Rich, yea that's exactly what they're saying. In both my cases I added one category, and I also updated http to https and it triggered the suspension. Doesn't take much apparently.

But if you space out the edits you should be fine, making just a category change should be ok.

I assume this is to protect business owners who have had their listings hijacked by malicious parties.

That is a pretty safe assumption :) Spammers also make pretty rapid changes.

We've been having a similar issue, but it is happening sooner than making edits.

The issue we have been having is that the listings are being suspended as soon as we get access. Whether it's through a Change of Ownership or simply being invited to the listing and accepting, the listings get suspended shortly after we're granted access before we can even make any edits.

The bulk of our clients are florists, so I imagine it's likely some kind of check/Google thing they are doing since florist is a high-spam category. Doesn't really make sense to happen before any edits are made though.

We are getting suspended shortly after Google's suggested edits appear in our inbx. When we click the link to reject their changes, the account is suddenly suspended... any insights???

Can you give us more details about the business? What industry is it in?

Both businesses are out of the home. The first one is for the Marketing company I work for. We registered with the owner's home address but it shows the service area (WI and MI.) The second is a home inspector who visits clients onsite.

I just had a third one suspended. I got access 4 days ago, didn't do anything. Today I added a Google Ads location extensions number. 1-2 hours later I changed the URL to add a utm string. That got it suspended.

Here are the three businesses:
Imoto Dallas (Restaurant)
Move Empower Concierge Physical Therapy (mobile PT clinic)
PolyTex Concrete Leveling (concrete contractor)

Bit of a variety in business types, none really work out of their homes, one was a service area business.

Any ideas? I haven't had this problem until recently and now three in a row makes me terrified to do anything. I may just get the business license up front for the next client...

To add, our business does not have a GMB agency account and I am claiming with a gmail then turning over to the owner of the business with myself as a manager. Could this be screwing us up?

Hello everyone, I've never got this issue that after making some edits it got suspended. I managed hotels chains profiles so everytime theres any update im doing it.
Does this happen to any kind on business listing?
And also do you know if this happens to new listings? Or this doesn't affect?

I want to now this to prevent that any of my listings get suspended.

Thanks

Hello everyone, I've never got this issue that after making some edits it got suspended. I managed hotels chains profiles so everytime theres any update im doing it.
Does this happen to any kind on business listing?
And also do you know if this happens to new listings? Or this doesn't affect?

I want to now this to prevent that any of my listings get suspended.

Thanks

Hi Belen,

Many listing are being suspended by edits recently. In our agency, we are trying not to make changes in name, address, geolocation, categories, or urls. And if we need to make any changes, we contact the Google My Business team first and we do it live with them. This is not the best solution, but until Google does not adjust the issue of suspensions we can not take risks with our clients. As far as I know, there is a long queue of suspension cases in the spanish market and the reinstatement could take even 1 week...

Francisco Castro Vazquez

Hi Belen,

Many listing are being suspended by edits recently. In our agency, we are trying not to make changes in name, address, geolocation, categories, or urls. And if we need to make any changes, we contact the Google My Business team first and we do it live with them. This is not the best solution, but until Google does not adjust the issue of suspensions we can not take risks with our clients. As far as I know, there is a long queue of suspension cases in the spanish market and the reinstatement could take even 1 week...

Francisco Castro Vazquez

Hi Francisco, thanks a lot for this information.
So i will be really careful on any updates that i have, and not change anything of the NAP info.

Hi Francisco, thanks a lot for this information.
So i will be really careful on any updates that i have, and not change anything of the NAP info.

You're welcome! By the way, we got suspension last week after uploading a post, and it wasn't by the content, the listing got automatically suspended. First time I saw it :l

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom