More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Most of my regular followers and certainly all the consultants that take my training are aware of the many problems dual claimed listings (I call them hidden merged dupes) can cause. (Note: if you are familiar with the issue and read all my posts, skip down to the blue EMAIL section below.)

In the past if a shady SEO had set up a listing in their account and you could not get access, or if the client forgot login or didn't know who set up the listing, you could just reclaim it. BUT then there would be multiple owners, which is a violation AND causing all kinds of problems. If you are new here are are unaware, please read the next thread.

WARNING: Dual Claimed Ranking Penalty - Drop like a Rock or Get Suspended

With the new Google dashboard, you can't simply reclaim a verified listing as you could in the past.

Dual Owner Reclaiming Lockout on Google+ Local Begins

However there are still tons of listings out there that have multiple owners (IE they are sitting in more than one dash.)

I think the biggest reason for the delays with the new dashboard upgrades is likely at this point due to dual claimed listings. The upgrades should roll out through some type of automated process. But what happens when that process hits a listing that's sitting in multiple dashboards. Let's say it's in an old SEO's dash, the corp dash and the franchise owners dash. How does that automated Google process know which is the one and only rightful owner that should be upgraded?

Google is EMAILING owners of dual claimed listings now

Some of your clients may be getting the following email. It's causing some concern and confusion with business owners and consultants alike, so I wanted to be sure you are aware of the issue.

"We’d like to inform you that Google Places no longer accommodates more than one authorised owner per business location. Your account contains one or more listings that have been identified as duplicates of other listings and as a result, some of the information that you provide will not be shown to Google users any more."

So in essence, Google is saying, we found multiple verified listings, picked one to be dominant, and it's not this one!

I've been seeing these posts come into the Google Business forum more and more frequently:
Here are a few of them.

Here is a good example of the problem with some great replies by my fellow TCs, Keenan and treebles: Google sending out emails about business owner restrictions. I agree with Keenan, dual claimed listing problems are likely what's holding up some of the new dashboard migrations.

As I said in this thread:

"I'm seeing more and more of these emails and can see why it would be concerning to business owners and consultants alike. Google tells you, you are managing a dupe, but I have not seen any explanation or instructions for what you are supposed to do to rectify the problem. Is that all that was in the email? No link to more info or how to get help with this problem?

If by chance there is no other explanation, I'll escalate this to Google and ask about the wording of the email to see if it can be expanded on, to help folks understand the issue and figure out how to fix it."

HEY COLAN - I saw you say in one thread you helped on, there should be a red banner at top of this dash warning about a dupe, that has a link to learn more??? Can you tell me what that page says or give me a link?

Or if anyone else has a copy of this email I'd like to see a full copy, not just the part that everyone quotes, like the part in blue above. I want to see if it explains the problem in more detail or offers suggestions about how to deal with it. If not I'll see if Google can work on improving those notifications.

Hey Guys,

This is what you see in the dashboard when you login to an account that Google has deemed the "not-so-chosen one"

red banner.jpg

Here is a link to the form that Google links to in the red banner - https://support.google.com/business/troubleshooter/3561373?p=marked_duplicate&hl=en&rd=1

I believe this is happening when a listing is dual-claimed and one of the accounts does the upgrade, or Google does it automatically, doesn't matter.

If the other account is in the new dashboard, they will then get this message. Kind of like too bad, so sad, you were too slow and the other account beat you to the prize.

But at least they have a support form to fill out - https://support.google.com/business/...ate&hl=en&rd=1

Plus phone support seems like a good solution in these cases.

red banner.jpg

I'm dealing with this right now. I have a client who has 2 Google listings that are claimed. The client doesn't know who/when the duplicate listing was claimed.

I spoke w/ a Google rep and they said they can't do anything to the listing since it's already claimed.

Here's the client's official listing:
https://plus.google.com/+FirstImpressionsDentistryYukon/

Here's the duplicate claimed listing (client doesn't know who claimed it- nor does he have access to the email account):
https://plus.google.com/105480886662892032441/

Unfortunately, that won't work since we don't know the email address tied to the dup and Google won't provide details.

Total cluster F. Don't get me started on the rep's explanation why there should be 2 listings anyway. Total moron.

Unfortunately, that won't work since we don't know the email address tied to the dup and Google won't provide details.

Ah, well if it's the other account that is marked as a duplicate and the account that you manage from is ok, then that's not so bad. Essentially Google has disabled that other account so it shouldn't have any negative impact.

Chris

I've had to deal with this before through phone support. For me, they sent an email to the other account and copied me on it. After not hearing from the other account for 2 weeks, they manually "unclaimed" the other listing. Then, you can either report it as a dupe or closed. It worked for me. Maybe call back and speak to another rep.

Thanks for the screenshot and link Colan! Knew you'd know more.

Does any of that info get communicated in the email? Do you know?

Bummer Chris. But if you log in from the account you are managing and follow the chain in that link Colan gave you, it sounds like it would send your email to whoever claimed the listing in the other account, right? Then the Dr gets this email in Yahoo, the email of the account he forget he ever used????

SCREENSHOT OF THIS PAGE

dualclaimeddupe.jpg

dualclaimeddupe.jpg

Here's the e-mail that one of our clients received:

red banner 2.png

---------- Post Merged at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:44 PM ----------

And here is a Google Reply to using this form - https://support.google.com/business/troubleshooter/3561373?p=marked_duplicate&hl=en&rd=1

"Hello,

Thank you for using our Ownership Request system. The original listing is unverified and is available for you to claim to your account.

Please remember that newly-verified listings, as well as updates to existing listings by business owners, can take up to a week to appear on Google Maps, so we appreciate your patience while this processes.

Please continue to freshen the data on the listing for your business from your account by clicking "Edit" from your dashboard, then clicking "Submit" to send your information to Google Maps on a regular basis. This will ensure that the listings contain the most accurate information possible.

If you have any problems or questions about claiming the listing, please let me know at any time, and I can assist you."

red banner 2.png

So all it says is log in and then assumes they'll see the red banner and click from there???

Kinda a long shot for a Mom and Pop to make that leap and connect the dots, don't you think?

I wondered if I should bring this issue up. Was not really sure how much of an issue it was. Was more just an FYI. But now I'm glad I posted.

I'll alert Google to this thread and see if anything in the communication/process can be improved.

Thanks Linda for kindly reminding me to READ Colin's post again. :D

My ADD kicked in and I didn't read thoroughly.

I completed the listing marked duplicate form on Google. I'll let y'all know how things go.

Thanks!!!!

And here is a Google Reply to using this form - https://support.google.com/business/troubleshooter/3561373?p=marked_duplicate&hl=en&rd=1

"...Please continue to freshen the data on the listing for your business from your account by clicking "Edit" from your dashboard, then clicking "Submit" to send your information to Google Maps on a regular basis. This will ensure that the listings contain the most accurate information possible..."

Colan, sounds like they are suggesting a "poke" but didn't we decide pokes did not work in new dash? Has something changed do you think? Or do you think they are giving outdated advice, not realizing you can't poke a new listing??? (I don't have time to find login for my test account that has new dash right now so can't check.)

Colan, sounds like they are suggesting a "poke" but didn't we decide pokes did not work in new dash? Has something changed do you think? Or do you think they are giving outdated advice, not realizing you can't poke a new listing??? (I don't have time to find login for my test account that has new dash right now so can't check.)

yes, there is no way to do an edit >>>> Submit per se. I think you would have to add photos or something to send an activity signal to Google.

Last edited:
Linda - I think the suggestion that you should Edit/Submit (poke) is simply for those on the old dashboard, basically outdated.

I am concerned that there are two separate issues that might be getting confused or fused together in this thread.

Issue 1 - dual claimed accounts with one account getting deprecated, receiving ambiguous email with crappy "duplicate" messaging and then logging in to their Places Account only to be welcomed by the big red scary flag of death and link to troubleshooter with more crappy messaging.

Issue 2 - actual duplicate listing live on the Map claimed by an unknown account and the process of submitting a request for ownership through the troubleshooter, Google researching issue, un-verifying account (hopefully), responding to ticket and allowing the listing to be marked as a duplicate, claimed or closed.

Chris' issue seems like #2 unless I am wrong (which is fairly common).

I just want to keep the issues separated and this thread focused if possible.

Thanks for pointing out Keenan!

You are right, I started with issue #1 and we talked about it a couple times. But Chris' issue is different as you describe in #2.

Check this out Linda;

Hello,

We?d like to inform you that Google Places no longer accommodates more than one authorised owner per business location. Your account contains one or more listings that have been identified as duplicates of other listings and as a result, some of the information that you provide will not be shown to Google users any more.

To get more information or request access to the other listings, please log into your Google Places account.

Yours sincerely,
The Google Places Team

<tbody>
</tbody>

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom