More threads by gbimbh

gbimbh

Reaction score
During a GBP audit, I noticed that the primary business category of top competitors (Screenshot 1) shows as concrete contractor when seen in organic results but as soon as I click "More Businesses" in Desktop view their category changes to Waterproofing company (Screenshot 2). What's even weirder to me is that when I click a competitor's listing on Maps, the primary category changes yet again from Concrete to Waterproofing company (Screenshot 3).

Questions:

1. Does this happen commonly? What causes this?
2. Does this impact ranking/traffic from discovery searches?
3. Does the arbitrary change in business category by Google distort keyword data?

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond!

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 6.26.46 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 6.27.03 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 6.31.10 PM.jpg

Solution
Google has done this for a few years. Google displays the category that they think is most relevant to the query searched.

It doesn't seem to impact ranking. In other words, the primary category still carries the most weight.

I don't think it would distort keyword data in any way.
Google has done this for a few years. Google displays the category that they think is most relevant to the query searched.

It doesn't seem to impact ranking. In other words, the primary category still carries the most weight.

I don't think it would distort keyword data in any way.

Solution

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Live Webinar - Local SEO Audits

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom