More threads by Ryan Steinolfson

Reaction score
Is local SEO still effective when the business location is hidden in the Google Business Profile listing? Is there an impact on ranking and calls?

Hey Ryan! I'm answering this based on the assumption that you are referring to a Service Area Business. If you are not an SAB or Hybrid, then you most definitely need to be showing your address simply because customers won't be able to find you.

For me at least, this is actually two questions:
1) Does a hidden address on a GBP affect Local Map Pack placement/ranking?
2) Does GBP affect organic ranking results or SERP?

1) Hiding the address of a GBP can affect ranking on the local map pack and its overall effect "depends" on several factors:

According to Google, hiding your address doesn't directly influence your ranking in the map pack but Google says a lot of things about ranking that are simply not true in the real world. At least for me, I've have seen that hiding the address can significantly impact the GBP position. However, a lot depends on the industry/vertical, amount of competition, population density and several other factors. But all things being equal, having the address visible is, under most circumstances, the preferred option. I think that this study by @JoyHawkins, demonstrates it pretty well: Does Hiding Your Address Impact your Google Business Profile Ranking? - Sterling Sky Inc

2) In short: GBP's have no direct impact on organic search results. So whether your GBP address is showing or not, it isn't going to have a direct impact on SERP. But indirect benefits of a GBP can impact organic ranking. A well optimized GBP can improve your online presence and brand visibility, and if it results in higher CTR to your website, that has the potential of being a positive ranking signal to Google.

Lastly, if you are a true SAB like a mobile based business (e.g. mobile groomer, mobile cell phone repair, yard/lawn service) it is very important to have an address in your service area. SABs can benefit from having expanded visibility on the Local Pack, especially if they are servicing a wide area (within 2 hour drive). If this applies to you, I'd highly recommend this article by @Colan Nielsen: Does the Service Area in Your Google Business Profile Impact Ranking? - Sterling Sky Inc

So, in summary, having your address displayed can have an impact on your Local Pack ranking and indirectly impact your organic ranking results.

Yes, local SEO is effective.

@Ryan Steinolfson, my apologies, after reading Jason's reply I think I totally misinterpreted your question.

From personal experience, we have had huge success with organic SEO. Especially using individual localized webpage content, regardless of the GBP's visibility.

@Ryan Steinolfson, my apologies, after reading Jason's reply I think I totally misinterpreted your question.

From personal experience, we have had huge success with organic SEO. Especially using individual localized webpage content, regardless of the GBP's visibility.

Jeff, I knew I liked you. You are and will always be a class act.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Live Webinar - Local SEO Audits

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom